Think Like A Zheien

Farley's father decided he had to live for his son. I didn't think it was a good idea to think about having a baby right now, when people can die at the drop of a hat! It worried me that Via had long convo with Pas and they didn't share any of it. Via went away with dark eyes. But Farley loves kids, and he has little cousins. I slept enough, and I'm not sleepy. It's morning. Lots of kids are peering in the clear wall with worried little faces. They're scared, too, and we're all in this together. Molly used to keep kids out of the Hospice, Rainbow's main building, until some parents convinced her they suffered more outside than the sight of sick people did to 'em. I saw Tamora and waved her in.

Pas frowned. "If she comes, all the children do—"

"Remember the Hospice? When Molly let the Yeff kids come and sit by their parents when they couldn't get 'em interested in play, the kids were better, and so were their families! They need each other, Pas."

The kids watched his face until he smiled and waved them in. All of 'em ran! Tamora went to her parents, who woke up enough to kiss her forehead, then fell asleep again. Oh, she looked so sad! So I reached my arms.

Five kids piled up here and leaned against me! "Sae Ella, why can we nae go home?" Tamora cried. I stroked her long, blond hair. A lot softer than mine. It smelled like a flower.

I waved up a bis tia and Pas nodded. "Eat this, and I'll try to explain."

She frowned. "What is?"

Pas smiled. "When upset comes, one leaf of bis tia helps one to calm. Did you see Taman or Ramiersen take of it?"

She sighed, and I felt a tiny rumble. "Fa and Mea care for the server. Our server was on our moon, Irsae, and I feared every time they left us to do—"

"Tamora, you should nae mention our Hub! Fa warned me—"

"Fa showed me how he transferred all of our data to Ye~ Hub, which serves all of Alb because he is so well! Ours was Alliance and nae longer serves. Ye~ Hub is Unified. Unified Hubs have more capacity. I had worries when we came, but this time, Fa and Mea took me with them, to move Rahn Estar Hub! Fa will rest well today, knowing he has nae long hours to solve problems." Wow, she's smart!

I stroked her blond curls. "How old are you, Tamora? Who's your parents? I need to learn everyone's names and how we're related."

She giggled. "Fa is Taman, Master Hub Engineer Of Rahn Estar. He was born there. Mea is Ramiersen, Biome Engineer Of Esta Faho, sae of Naisalana, my Meae."

"Oh, so my grandmother—my meae—is also your meae?"

"Eae! You saw them when I came, eae?"

"On the other bed near us, eae! I love our new home. Masen, Healer Of Esta Faho is my family's healer and also my ba, he tells us we nae ever take umar seg again! I am happy nae ever to have mind pains again!"

Pas gasped. "They gave umar seg as they did adults? How old are you, child?" Expected those red-gold eyes to go black, with that expression! His upset rumbled on us. This is the bald Pas.

"I am 9. I saw Galarsmen as he made it and Masen said he should make it a quarter strength, but Galarsmen insisted all must have it when Elshars attacked. He taught me to pretend to take it. Nomo helped me. He also pretended to take it. He studied the Ishah Guides until he could quote large passages from it. I helped him write progs to keep it from him. Was I bad, nae to tell Fa?"

Pas hugged her. Sighed, and it rumbled. "Tamora, you had wisdom beyond your years. Masen is correct, but all of you had umar seg too oft for health! Your colony had suffering that gave hard choices to your rulers, and to your healers. Because even your healers could nae agree, you made a choice that I feel is a correct one. Feel nae guilt of your acts. Because you helped Nomo, I think he helped others nae to have as much harm. Did you have unwells from what you witnessed?"