Nine

Gowthami

Ravishing?

I chuckle to myself while in the car and earn a dubious look from the driver uncle. He was adorable, stating it so genuinely.

I wonder If this is how he is able to demonstrate his feelings. Roughly, just like him. I bit my inner lips, intrigued to see what more he'd do to secure my trust. The day goes by as usual with boring classes and tiring practicals.

When I got home in the evening, I directly went to my room and took a long shower. I then wore a red half saree, dried my hair using the towel, and let the wet strands cascade down my shoulders as I skipped downstairs to have tea.

Amma has already distributed the teas to the goons so I grab mine and walk to the veranda, in search of Chanakya. But he's not here. I couldn't prevent the expression of disappointment from floating on my face at his absence. Then I walk to the backyard and again, I was disheartened. He wasn't there as well...

A frown paints itself on my countenance as I sip on the tea and irately saunter to the living room.

"He's gone outside. He'll be back soon, with a surprise..." Hari, one of father's men says secretly to me as he enters the kitchen with his empty cup. Huh?? Was I that obvious? And it seems everyone knows about Chanakya and me.

It's not a big deal as long as they don't leak this to my father which I'm sure they wouldn't...

Besides, what did Hari anna mean by the 'surprise'? I don't get it.

Brushing those thoughts away, I drink my tea and groom myself when my hair dries. I partition from the left side and braid my hip-length hair. Then I apply kajal to my eyes and a red pottu (bindi) in between my eyebrows. I'm not going to lie saying that I'm beautifying me for myself.

It's for him...

Smiling to myself, I descend the stairs and give company to my mom who was watching serials. As time goes by, the night sets in and I heed the sound of Chanakya's bike entering through our gate. I instinctively straighten myself and once I observe him in the veranda, I yell to my mother.

"Amma! I'll go and lock the hen's house..." My mother, upon listening to my unnecessarily raised voice looks at me in annoyance. Meanwhile, I just smile at her sweetly and wander towards the backyard.

"Buck buck buck buck....get inside your house, everyone!" I guide the hens into their little shelter but there's this one little chick who wouldn't get inside her house.

"Hm...do you want to be eaten by a dog? Is that why you're refusing to return to your house?" I talk to the chick as I follow it around. It stands still when I approach it but when I'm about to catch it, the sneaky yellow chick runs away. Does it want to play with me or what?

While I was looking at the chick, I felt the presence of Chanakya behind me.
"Help me catch it," I say without glancing back at him, and within minutes, the hulk is trailing behind the chick, striving so hard to capture it. I found his action cute and watched him endearingly.

Minutes later, Chanakya succeeds and locks the chick within the hen's cage. Then he grabs a yellow cover that sits alongside the back kitchen's window and walks towards me.

He looks quite nervous as he shoves his hand inside the cover and extends a lotus leaf package. I know what's inside it...jasmines, the scent is undeniable. It wafts through the air, elevating our mood immediately.

I stare at him lovingly as I get hold of the jasmines. "Thanks...I love jasmines!" I say with a wide smile and Chanakya's face lits up as well.

Then he smirks.

"I've got you more..." He drags and unveils a packet from the cover.

It was halwa...

My mood darkens at the connotation.

(Jasmine+Halwa=sex)

"So you only want sex?" I perk up at Chanakya and question blankly. If he'd given me only the jasmines...I would've taken it as a sign of love but this halwa implies that his intentions are different.

"No Gowthami...why do you ask that?"  He asks in surprise while I furiously stuff the jasmines on his hand and rush inside.

Does he only think about having sex with me!? Just when I was starting to feel for him, he had to ruin it by doing this!

Chanakyan

As soon as Gowthami leaves, my friends who had been hiding behind the wall all this time burst into laughter, and right then I knew...it was their plan all along.

Fuckers. This is not something to be playing with. This is serious and they spoiled everything just for the sake of their fun. They made a fool out of me and I'm not going to let them go so easily.

I put the jasmines and halwa back into the yellow cover, folded my veshti tighter and got hold of the guava tree stick from the top of the hen's cage which is used to assist the hen. And then, without wasting a mere second, I took long strides and hit each and every scoundrel brutally. Even as they try to run away, I chase them and beat them till my anger is cooled down by their panicked faces and screams...

No bastard has to teach me how to love anymore. I'll love in my own way henceforth.

_________________________