Twenty three

Pulla- Literally means baby. Most Tamil Villagers use this term in a loving manner to refer to girls, and sometimes boys.

Chanakyan

After Ayya caught us together, Gowthami ran back and dressed up, then we were ordered to come to the house. For speedy transportation, a car was sent our way.

I sat in the car with my torn shirt and felt unusually cold. Gowthami's clothes have been dried moderately and she seemed to be fine.

I wasn't really scared of meeting Ayya. He has to agree to our marriage. If not, or If he's stubborn, I am willing to walk away with Gowthami. She has given me her consent long back.

The option of marrying her without Ayya's permission and blessing is not something I'm pleased about, but If the situation ends up in such a way that I can't be with Gowthami unless she has to disobey her parent's wishes, then I've to do what a man has to do.

The ride to the house was silent. Gowthami was thoughtful and kept her gaze stuck outside. I would have loved to take in her beauty, however, it appeared that my health wasn't in the best state right now. It is rare for me to get sick, but with everything that happened today, I understood the reason behind the rising tiredness within my body.

...I want to rest.

Yet I can't until I finish this marriage negotiation with Ayya and receive his final decision.

To deal with the increasing weariness, I lean back on the seat and shut my eyes. I intend to rest a bit, but the hectic day knocks my senses off and before I can catch myself together, I plummet into a deep state of sleep.

I wake up when soft fingers tap against my cheeks. My head, which was previously slanted against the seat was now cushioned by the mellow surface of Gowthami's shoulder. I could die right here.

The feeling of being loved and cared for by my Gowthami, is out of the world.

I snuggle more into her neck, hypnotized by her scent and the delicateness.

"Dai, pothum da, ainthiri!" (Enough man, get up) I steer my head back swiftly when I heed Hari's voice. We've reached. I should make myself strong to face whatever would happen inside Ayya's house.

"Are you alright Chanakya?" Absolutely no, but in no way will I disclose it to her. She is perturbed already. Her brows are knitted together in concern and apprehensiveness. The last thing I would want to do is have her more bothered.

"Perfect, we should get going now," she doesn't trust my pretense and instead pastes her palm against my forehead. "You are simmering, Chanakya," She utters in shock.

"It'll go away with proper rest. It's not a big deal Gowthami. We've to talk to Ayya now, come," she tries to retort but Hari interrupts her. "What are you both doing? Ayya's waiting for you," Upon having no choice, we both hop out of the car and saunter to the house. The men were spread outside, looking tensed more than me.

I'm composed, except for the fact that my body is not cooperating with me, and impetuously becoming exhausted.

"Chanakya, we can converse with Appa later. You should go and take rest now," I flee a sharp look to Gowthami and she instantly shuts up.

"I don't want to delay this," I speak sternly and enter the living room. Ayya and Amma were settled on the couch. The former is quiet and raged while the latter is distressed.

Ayya stands up when he notes our presence. The air was thick. My friends, Jagan, Shakthi, Hari, Kannan, and a few others were unnerved as well...

Why so serious?