Twenty four

Gowthami

The subsequent day, Chanakya doesn't arrive at our home, meaning, he isn't fine as he said he was the last night.

In addition to his fever, he had been injured in certain regions of his body during the fight...hence it's unlikely that he will be alright in a night. I knew it, but as he so confidently claimed that he was fine and a good night's sleep was all that was required to get back to his normal self, I fell for his deceptive words.

How dare he...

Why can't he be transparent with me and spill out what he truly feels?

As I keep pondering about his health while settled in the living room, I heed my mother's call from the kitchen. She asked me to prepare dosas and went out with a tea mug.

I'd conversed with her regarding Appa's decision and she expressed that he has agreed to our marriage reluctantly under her persuading...

I was relieved at the information but couldn't give much thought to it.

Because my mind is entirely clouded with Chanakya's well-being. I contacted him several times but he didn't pick up. Then again, after everything that happened yesterday, his phone is most likely not in his possession.

I even requested my mother to let me visit Chanakya. Unfortunately, she didn't permit me, given my safety reasons. Despite our men winning over our enemies the previous day, the main culprit still hasn't been located. Thus mom is apprehensive of leaving me out of the house. Anyway, I can't stay inside all the time...my exams are approaching, therefore, I've to attend college within another few days. I hope by then the main villain behind all this will be caught and strangled to death.

Once done with the work in hand, that is, preparing dosas, I rush out of my house to look for Chanakya's friends. They'd all been dismissed the last night to rest and in their place were some new men, guarding our house. And in the dawn, when I came out to enquire about Chanakya's whereabouts with his friends, they hadn't appeared. Thus, I had no means to know about his health condition...

However, at present, as I step out to the veranda, I see Jagan Anna near the bull's dwelling. I swiftly wander in his direction and call out to him. He smiles warmly at me. "How are you, Anna?" I implore, recollecting how he'd fought with the foes the past day.

"I'm perfectly fine ma," (denotes respect and is an endearing term) He says gently. "Um...Anna...Chanakya had fever and had also sustained numerous injuries in the fight, I don't think he's doing well right now, can you please check in on him? I'd asked Mom to let me out to meet Chanakya in his home but she didn't approve," I blurt out in a concerned tone and Anna nodded his head with a small smile.

"Do not be worried. He's a strong guy. I'll go and check in on him," that being said, he departs on his bike out of our house premises.

I prayed to god for his rapid recovery and agitatedly shuffled inside. Minutes later, we'd breakfast together and Appa behaved oddly. He was...shy.

I tried my very best to ignore the atrocities of these love birds, my mom and dad, but they were quite obvious as they smiled romantically and timidly at each other. This is so awkward.

God...

I couldn't bear to see their acts. Hence I impetuously finished my breakfast and left to my room. There I pick my books for the upcoming exam and perch on the mattress to study.

Yet sadly, I couldn't concentrate and the reason is none other than Chanakya. I wish I could be with him and look after him.

My brain replays all the moments that we spent together and those heroic actions he did to save me. The butterflies in my stomach reacted immediately, fluttering their colorful wings and giving rise to a bizarre sensation inside my tummy.