Twenty six

Gowthami

My chest feels sore and between my hectic study schedule, I'm massaging my bosoms to relieve the pain. Within a few days, my exams would crash on me. The time, starting from today is precious. I can't waste a single hour. Though chemistry is my favorite subject, it needs my undivided attention for me to understand the concepts clearly.

The weather is warm today, casting sunrays that ease people. With my book clutched in my hand, I walk downstairs to consume the lunch. Chanakya isn't back yet. I saw him during breakfast time and then he nodded towards me and left along with his friends somewhere.

I didn't get the chance to inquire him of his destination and eventually forgot about the same as my focus shifted to my books. I wonder why he isn't back yet.

Pondering about his absence, I'd my food and once I retired to my room, I contacted him. He picks up within the first few rings and speaks up in his flirty rough tone, "Ratchasi," I smile at the nickname.

"Where did you go?" I query, curiously. "...I went to invite an important person to our upcoming temple festival," Oh? The mischievousness in his voice made me feel dubious.

"Who is it?" I question further to know that significant person. "Mr. Durai. A businessman and a kind and generous one. Have contributed to the development of various orphanages and religious structures. Hence decided to invite him," I hum at his response and turn the pages of my book.

"Concentrate on your studies now. We'll talk at night, Come to the backyard at 11 pm," he says in a commanding tone and disconnects the call.

Placing the mobile away, I inhale and exhale a deep breath before pouring my interest into the book. I'm quite a nerd when it comes to studies and I tend to forget everything around me when I'm involved in it.

And just like that, the world shifts, kicking away its light-shaded blanket and dragging up a dark one in its place.

The only break I took throughout the day time was when I had to go to the restroom. In the evening, Mom brought the tea upstairs and thus, I'd been staying in my room all day...

I did hear Chanakya's bike sound at late dusk but he didn't come to meet me and neither did I. He asked me to focus on my studies and meet him at 11 pm...hence like a good little wife, I followed his order.

It makes me happy. To listen to him and to be submissive to him.

I smile to myself, thinking about the rugged man who has stolen my heart.

A while later, when the clock dings 8.30 pm, I descend the stairs to have dinner. I found Chanakya and my father out in the front of the house, discussing something seriously.

Seeing them together caused me shock. But I was pleased nevertheless.

"Did the duo have dinner ma?" I quirk my eyebrows at my mother who was binding jasmine flower to the string, while seated on the veranda. "They did," she replies in her lively voice and hums a song to herself as she peacefully resumes her work.

I send a glance towards Chanakya, hoping the man would offer me a look but to no avail. Sighing disappointedly, I silently had my dinner and went upstairs.

From my room, I gazed down at him through the window and still found the two men having an intense conversation. I'm indeed delighted by their reunion but I need Chanakya's attention now...

I felt jealous of my father.

Cringing at my thoughts and behavior, I smack myself on my forehead. Why am I suddenly behaving like a lovesick puppy?

So immature.

Sulking, I entered the restroom and washed my body. I shaved down there and in certain places necessary. At the rate our intimacy is been developing, I ought to be well-prepared.

Within a few minutes, I exit the restroom and deck on a pinky-white nightdress. Then I again positioned myself in the bed and began studying.

Unbeknownst to myself, I had slumbered. And I realized it way too late. At about 4 am. Feeling guilty, I quickly drag my phone off the side table and call Chanakya.

"I'm sorry, I fell asleep unknowingly," I blurt out in a remorseful tone as soon as he attends. "Prechana illa (not a problem) I checked in on you when you didn't appear at the specified time and found you in a deep snoozing state. Didn't have the heart to wake you up so retreated," he mutters in a hoarse sleepy voice that has my butterflies going berserk.

"...when did my Chanakya become so considerate?" I remember him once waking me up in the middle of the night to do romance. It's quite ironic when I compare that action to his current one.

"Gowthami..." He drags. "Unna kattikitu padikanum pola iruku," (I want to cuddle with you and sleep) his affectionate and desperate voice had me swiftly unlock the window and look down from my room to the veranda.

He's there...

Under the moonlight, he's lying on the veranda, beside a pillar, with no cushion or mattress. I gulp as the feeling of him sleeping on the floor throttles me. Upon noticing the unbolted window, Chanakya looks up. One of his hands is acting as a pillow and with the other, he's holding the phone to his ear.

"Don't you feel uncomfortable sleeping on the floor?" I ask him while tears brim in my eyes. I have never given a thought to this so far and that causes me immense pain. I feel like a heartless person. No one deserves to sleep in this manner...especially not these men who risk their lives for our safety.

"Not really. Are you crying?" He becomes alert. "I'm sorry," I apologize for I've not cared about any one of them all this while. I regarded them as just mindless rowdies who kill and beat up people. I never bothered about them...

I was ignorant. Very much.

And it hurts.

"Pch, ethuku?" (For what?) He asks, irritated. "You are sleeping on the floor..." He sighs at my words.

"Hm, so you're feeling bad, huh? Alright...do I have permission to crash on your bed tonight then?" He sounds cool...

"Of course," he cackles lowly at my reply.

"I was kidding Gowthami. I'm used to this, I don't feel discomfort, do not worry," my heart doesn't accept his answer. "No, come up," I stubbornly call him.

"Vaendaam pulla...ippovae maasam aanaena nalla irukathu," (No pulla, it wouldn't be nice If you become pregnant now itself,) For a few seconds, my mind glitches as I process his retort.

"You pervert!" He laughs out loud at my accusation and I cut the call, feeling mixed emotions.

A tinge of anger with a pinch of shyness.

Facepalming myself, I fall back on the bed, flustered.

_______________________