Chapter Seven: The Flower Dance

It was a few days later after your night with Shane. You hadn't seen or heard from him since. You couldn't help but wonder if that night had actually meant anything to him or not. Or if he even remembered about it since he had been drinking. You sigh, pushing him from your mind. You go about your morning on the farm like usual. But you can't help think about what he said. He was for sure depressed. He reminded you of your mom. You felt a huge weight on your heart thinking about her. You shake your head at the thoughts. You finish harvesting some potatoes and take them inside. You didn't harvest much today. You'll keep this little harvest for yourself. 

You clean up the potatoes and then put them away. You go and shower off the dirt from today, letting the worries from today swirl down the drain. You get out, get dressed and decide to head down to Marnie's to finally purchase some chicks. When you walk in, Marnie is chasing Jas around the house. 

"Come on Jas, we have to leave soon!" Marnie shouts.

"But I don't want to wear those shoes!" Jas protests. "I want my purple heel shoes!"

"But you're feet will hurt wearing those for so long!" You stand in front of the door watching them.  Then Shane walks in. He's wearing a suit, that was like a powdered blue to you.

"Y/N? What are you doing here?" 

"Uh, I was gonna buy some animals today but you guys seem a bit busy." Marnie walks in now .

"Oh hi Y/N!" She looks you up and down. "Oh no! Do you realize what day it is today?" She asks you.

"Um, I guess not?" You reply. 

"It's the flower dance today!" 

"Oh! I didn't even realize that! I didn't know it was still a thing." Marnie chuckles. 

"Of course dear! Are you going to come?"

"I would, but I don't really have an outfit for that." You frown. "It's still all white dresses right?" Marnie nods. "Yeah, I don't have a dress then." You say disappointed.

"Hang on." Marnie says quickly, disappearing into her room. You look in her direction confused. While you wait for Marnie come back, you listen to Shane and Jas.

"Okay kid. Here's the deal you wear the sneakers to walk to the dance, and then you can change into your heels for the dance part. That sounds fair?"

"Okay Uncle Shane." She smiles widely at him. 

"That's a good girl. Put your sneakers on them. It's almost time to go." He says gently to her. She giggles and goes off to get her shoes. It's just you and Shane for a moment. Neither of you know what to say to each other. You finally break the silence.

"Thanks for walking me home the other night. You can see why I don't usually drink beer." You say quietly. 

"Yeah, not a problem. No more beer for you in the future." He quietly chuckles. You softly smile. Shane seems to be doing good today. "Ugh, I hate this flower dance. The suit is so itchy and the dance they make us do is kinda annoying." You giggle as Shane itches at his arm.

"I've never gotten a chance to be in it but I do remember seeing it a couple of times as a kid. I always thought the guys looked so handsome and the girls looked like princesses. The suits do look a bit ridiculous now that I'm older though." You eyeball Shane up and down. He glanced away, blushing. 

"I only do it cuz Marnie makes me and of course Jas loves to go. She always calls herself a princess."

"Who are you going to dance with?" You ask, curious.