Brad's Survival Arc: Part 14

A lone cottage sat in a field surrounded by wildflowers, fireflies, and thriving maple trees with red leaves. Rustic stone walls lined the exterior of the house, ranging from light, ashen grays to sandy browns. A long brick chimney casted a shadow down on the cobblestone pathway leading to a wooden front door. Dim, yellow-tinted lights greeted everyone with a warm, homey welcome. Slim windows revealed a plethora of antique furnishings waiting inside of a cozy living room.

It was Marshall's temporary, and completely unplanned, lodging while he was away from home, courtesy of his vacationing extended family from Denali.

Being around them after so long felt...really nice, honestly. The Denali vampires were easy to talk to and always had been. They felt more human in comparison to others of their kind because they weren't privy to staying away from a species they were meant to hunt. It was actually the exact opposite: the Denalis prided themselves for their genuine willingness to be around humans. If not for experiencing simple pleasures of having romantic flings, they found great comfort in just existing around normal, mundane people.

Friendships with those having short lifespans were all the more meaningful to have. They were also beautiful little stories everyone could take with them through the years, reminiscing of times and companions they held dear.

Finding Marshall alone in a cemetery had been surprising, but he was invited to stay with his extended family without hesitation.

And as nice as it was to be around them, it was also extremely difficult.

They still didn't know. About Marshall's desertion, the family breaking up, everyone's deaths. The Denalis were blissfully unaware of all of the carnage, misfortune, and pain which had gone on over, roughly, the last two years. Laughing and joking around while holding onto such a substantial, life-changing secret was a lot to handle.

Regardless, when asking for a sign of triumph during his hardships, Marshall was presented with those currently walking ahead of him.

Maybe they had the answers he was looking for. Or they'd at least be available to help lead him on the path he was searching for.

He really hoped so, anyway.

"You're awfully quiet tonight, darling. That doesn't really seem like you," Tanya stated, clinging to her companion's arm and snuggling against him. 

Marshall offered up a soft smile. "Have I been? I'm sorry- I know I'm usually a chatterbox whenever we're able to catch up."

Kate took his other arm, holding it in a slightly looser yet still tender manner. "There's nothing wrong with a little silence. When it comes to living in a house with so many people like you've been, I'm sure finding a place with some peace and quiet can be hard."

Marshall didn't give a halfhearted response. Instead, he clenched his jaw hard enough for one of his fangs to dig into his tongue.

He silently took in the cottage's interior to distract himself.

Pistachio green walls led up to a high ceiling with dark wooden beams running in vertical patterns. Wooden chairs with cushions covered in pretty floral designs were grouped around a circular coffee table. A home entertainment center was surrounded by dual bookshelves packed with leather bound volumes. Beside the left one, refurbished stairs led up to a darkened second floor where the bedrooms were.

Marshall placed his bag down next to an archway leading into a connected kitchen space. He sat down on one of the single seaters, purposely putting distance between himself and those around him.

"Are you hungry by any chance, Marsh?" Eleazar asked with a soft voice. "We wouldn't mind planning another hunting trip if you're feeling peckish."

"Ah- no, I'm good. I ate before I left. Besides, I'm sure you guys can tell that our diets don't really align anymore..."