Brad's Survival Arc: Part 3

Rays of golden light filtered into the house through cracked open windows. Specks of translucent dust particles floating in the air gained enough vibrancy to be noticed with ease. Long shadows from objects blocking sun beams etched themselves into the carpet and hardwood flooring. There was enough natural illumination to not require the use of any lamps while sitting on the couch, legs crossed, feet tucked in, and reading a lengthy fantasy/romance novel.

A calming scent of sweet wildflowers wafted inside. As did the sound of birds chirping, leaves rustling, and an outdoor wind chime dancing from its perch near the front door.

Light humming filled an otherwise silent room as Paul worked in the kitchen. He had a cookbook propped up on the counter, looking at its contents before focusing his attention back down. Both hands were covered in sweet-flavored orange bits, courtesy of the fresh pumpkin he just mashed into a smooth paste. He had just finished prepping homemade cake batter and was planning to add both products together to finally bake them into a special dessert. Dinner was already in the oven, consisting of a simple dish of seasoned chicken, potatoes, and asparagus. Thanks to Paul's meticulous planning, everything would be done at the same time.

The plan for after supper was to clean up, sit down, and relax on the couch with either some video games, music, or a movie. Until then, peaceful silence was more than welcome to occupy their shared space.

Marshall was peering over an in-book illustration when quiet footsteps from above made him look toward the stairs.

The bedroom door opening was followed by creaking wood. "Marsh, can I- ow!"

"Don't come down. I'll meet you at the top." Tossing his novel to the side, he ran up the stairs with enhanced speed. Strands of hair were still in the process of falling back into place as he stopped on the second to last step. "What're you doing out of bed? If you needed me, you could've just called."

"I know, but..." A hand braced against Brad's side made small gestures to smooth over his almost healed injury. "I was going to ask if it'd be okay if I took a bath. I'm not leaking venom anymore, so I figured I'd be good to go now."

"Oh. No, yeah- that should be fine. C'mon." Marshall continued walking and turned toward the bathroom. "You want the tub pillow? I'm cool with washing your hair. I just don't know if you'd rather have something to rest on while I do it."

"You- I-" Brad stammered. "You don't have to help me. I don't...want to be a bother."

Reaching for the hot water knob was interrupted by a swift pause. "You're not. Why wouldn't I help you? You're still having trouble moving without pain. Besides, it's not like we haven't seen each other naked before. It wouldn't be anything new."

"Well, yeah, but..." The way Brad's voice heightened brought about the mental image of him blushing out of minor embarrassment when he was still capable of doing so. "That was in the past. Before you got married. And we're going to have a talk about you having a big ass wedding one of these days because not inviting me to the initial ceremony? Rude."

"...You were literally not even in the area, cry baby."

"Whatever." Brad stuck his tongue out. "Seriously, though. You're married now, and I don't want to cross any boundaries or anything like that. I don't know how much stuff has changed now that you have a hubby instead of a boyf."

"You're- you're serious? Oh my- that's actually so sweet." Marshall clutched a hand over his heart in an exaggerated manner. "Really- you're one of the nicest guys on the planet. So precious. The world needs more respectful men like you, Romero."

Brad didn't agree or disagree. He simply raised a single eyebrow at his friend's playful antics.

Footsteps coming up the stairs were followed by Paul leaning against the doorframe with a fond shake of his head. "What he's trying to say is that there's nothing to be weird about. You guys have seen each other naked before, so it's not a big deal. Besides, if there's one person that I trust wholeheartedly to be around Marsh one hundred percent of the time, it's you, Brad. Friends help friends. Giving you a bath wouldn't be an issue for either of us. Especially if it's difficult for you to do it by yourself. It'll also give us some peace of mind to know that you're finally well enough to let your body calm down after going through so much these last couple of days."