laws

The next morning, Ben was half-asleep as he reached out to hug Mal, only to realize she wasn't beside him

The next morning, Ben was half-asleep as he reached out to hug Mal, only to realize she wasn't beside him. Jolting awake, he scanned the room, feeling a surge of panic when he didn't see her. He checked every inch of their bedroom, his worry growing with each passing second.

Unable to find her, Ben dashed out into the hallway in his pajamas, his heart racing. He called out her name as he ran, his voice tinged with urgency.

"Mal? Mal, where are you?"

Just as he was about to turn a corner, he caught sight of her through a large window. She was sitting calmly on the porch, sipping tea and enjoying the early morning sun.

Relief flooded through him, and he hurried outside. "Mal!" he called, breathless but smiling.

Mal looked up, a serene expression on her face. "Good morning, Ben. Did I scare you?"

Ben walked over, shaking his head with a mixture of exasperation and amusement. "You have no idea. I woke up and you were gone. I thought something had happened."

Mal reached out and took his hand, pulling him to sit beside her. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you. I just felt better this morning and wanted to enjoy some fresh air."

Ben sighed, his shoulders relaxing. "I'm glad you're feeling better. Just promise me you'll let me know next time, okay? You really scared me."

Mal smiled, squeezing his hand. "I promise. Now, sit and have some tea with me."

Mal called for a servant, who quickly brought a cup of tea for Ben. He accepted it gratefully, taking a seat next to her on the porch. He took a sip, savoring the warmth of the tea, then turned to Mal with a gentle smile.

"Did you sleep well last night?" he asked.

Mal replied with a soft hum of affirmation, her eyes still on the beautiful morning view.

Ben nodded, but his expression turned serious. "You know you need to take proper nutrition, right? We need to make sure you're getting enough rest and eating well."

Mal smiled at his concern, placing a reassuring hand on his arm. "I know, Ben. I'll be fine. Really, you don't need to worry so much."

"I can't help it," Ben admitted. "I just want to make sure you're healthy and happy."

"I appreciate it," Mal said, her eyes softening. "But you don't have to stress so much about me. I promise I'll take care of myself. And I'll let you know if I need anything, okay?"

Ben sighed, feeling a bit more reassured by her words. "Alright. Just remember, I'm here for you, always."

Mal leaned over and kissed his cheek. "I know. And I'm so grateful for that."

Ben took a deep breath and hesitated before bringing up the council's "assignment" again. "Mal, about the heir thing the council wants us to work on... I don't want to hurt you or put any unnecessary pressure on you."