almost is never enough

Six months later, Ben was preparing for a month-long trip to Paris, a journey he'd been anticipating for a while. The excitement of the adventure ahead was palpable, but the packing process felt overwhelming. Mal, ever supportive, was by his side, carefully folding his clothes and ensuring he didn't forget anything important.

As she placed a neatly folded sweater into his suitcase, she asked, "Are you sure you've got everything? Paris for a month is a long time."

Ben smiled, appreciating her attention to detail. "I think so. Thanks for helping, Mal. I'd probably leave half my stuff behind if it weren't for you."

Mal gave him a soft smile, brushing her hand against his arm. "I just want to make sure you're set. I know this trip means a lot to you."

Ben nodded, his thoughts drifting to the meetings, experiences, and culture he was about to immerse himself in. "It does. But I'm going to miss you. A lot."

As Mal continued packing Ben's bags, her hands moved mechanically, folding shirts and tucking away essentials, but her mind was elsewhere. Every item she placed in the suitcase felt heavier than it should have, like a piece of her heart was being packed away too.

Ben was going to be gone for a month—a whole month without him by her side. She had gotten so used to his presence, his voice, the way he made everything feel lighter. Now, the thought of him being an ocean away made her chest tighten, but she couldn't let him see that.

"I'm going to pack your favorite scarf," she said, her voice steady, though her heart ached. She forced a small smile, glancing up at him.

Ben, oblivious to her internal struggle, grinned. "You know me too well."

Mal quickly looked down, pretending to concentrate on folding, but the truth was, she didn't want him to see the emotion in her eyes. She wanted to be supportive, wanted him to be excited for his trip, but a part of her couldn't help but feel a gnawing loneliness already creeping in.

"I'll be fine," she whispered to herself, but inside, she wasn't so sure.

Mal pressed her lips together as she zipped up the final compartment of Ben's suitcase. Her hands lingered on the zipper for a moment longer than necessary, her mind racing with thoughts she wouldn't say out loud.

Ben noticed her quietness and leaned closer, gently placing his hand on hers. "Mal, you okay?" His voice was soft, filled with concern.

She forced another smile, one that didn't quite reach her eyes. "Yeah, I'm fine," she said quickly, pulling her hand away and standing up. "Just making sure you have everything."

Ben tilted his head, studying her. "You know you can talk to me, right? If something's bothering you..."

Mal turned away, pretending to check the clock. "You should probably get going soon if you don't want to be late for your flight." Her voice was calm, collected, but inside, her heart was beating faster.

Ben stood and gently turned her to face him. "Mal, come on. I can see something's up."

She let out a shaky breath, eyes meeting his. "I'm happy for you, Ben. Really, I am. I want you to go and enjoy Paris, but..." Her voice wavered for the first time. "It's just... it's going to be hard not having you here for so long. I'm used to you being around all the time."

Ben's expression softened. He pulled her into a tight embrace, his arms wrapping around her securely. "I'm going to miss you too. So much. But it's only a month. We'll be back to our normal crazy life before you know it."

Mal clung to him for a moment, trying to memorize the feel of his arms around her. She knew he was right—he always was. But still, the thought of waking up every day without him beside her filled her with an emptiness she couldn't explain.