Chapter Eleven

"They sent the symbol they tattooed on me forever ago that basically says I'm owned by them in every aspect of the word. It's a personalized one that I've received in the most creative ways as a warning, but using dead bodies is the farthest they've ever gone."

Almost thirty people, Hydra agents, sure, but still human beings, died just so they could tell you they were coming. The way they kill without hesitation really sends an awful feeling through you that you could do without. It just reminds you of all the people you've killed for them.

"So, they're coming after you." Steve stated plainly.

"I always skip town whenever I get the warning because it means they're closing in," You told them as you boarded the jet, "And I've never had someplace to really call home like with you guys, but I can't stay."

"You're staying," Tony told you without hesitation, "And we're gonna kill those sons of bitches."

~Small Time Skip~

You arrived back at the tower, heading straight for the conference room where Fury requested you explain everything to him that wasn't in your file. It was time to come clean and no matter how painful it would be, you knew you owed it to everyone to do so.

"I think it's safe to say I've become more of a liability than an asset." You told him when you finished, and he looked up from his notes.

"What're you saying, Y/n?" He asked in a softer tone than what you were used to when it came to Fury.

"I think I should go."

"We're not forcing you out," He clarified sternly, "But if you feel like you want to leave, I'm not forcing you to stay either."

"Thanks, director." You gave him a tight smile, stood up, and shook his hand.

"Think carefully on your decision." He advised, releasing your hand.

You headed down the hallway to the elevator and when you got in, you stared at the numbers for a long time. You could go back to your room and pack or head to the lab to let Bruce and Tony know what was happening. Maybe wait to see Wanda, Bucky, Clint, or Sam when they got back. Say goodbye to Natasha.

You didn't want to.

You really didn't want to.

You clicked the floor with the kitchen because you were hungry and no matter what decision you made; you'd want to get some food first.

Sighing deeply, you exited the elevator and barely looked up as you strolled over to the fridge.

"Why do I get the feeling that meeting didn't go so well?" Steve spoke up, bringing you from your thoughts and making you jump back.

"Jesus, Steve," You breathed and then chuckled at yourself, "And it went great, Fury's not as tough as you guys make him out to be."

"Nothing else happened then?" He pushed, taking a drink from some green juice that looked utterly disgusting, "Because it feels like you're carrying something heavy."

"Oh, like on my shoulders?" You teased.

"You know it'd be dumb to leave, right?"

"Not as dumb as putting everyone in danger though." You pointed out, deciding to make a sandwich.

"I think we can handle ourselves." He scoffed and you felt yourself getting angry.

"And what if you can't?" You snapped, "What if they get me, or worse, Bucky? What if they kill someone? Or there's collateral damage outside of the tower?"

"Whoa, slow down, L/n." He put his hands up and you felt yours burning.

"I'm not letting anyone fight for me."