Chapter Thirty

"You're gonna have to be more specific."

"I read your report," She deadpanned, "You're a very detailed writer."

"I told you I lost my com and then I kind of panicked," You shrugged, putting your hands in your pockets, "But Fury called it sloppy, not a fail."

"You let him...touch you?"

"I thought if I wrote that it might help in the justification of why I killed him."

"That's a fucking excuse!" She spat and the elevators dinged open, Steve and Sam coming out of them.

"Everything okay, ladies?" Steve asked, looking between the two of you.

"Yes."

"No."

You looked at her when she said no, and she hardened her stare on you. It surprised you because she didn't seem like the type to air dirty laundry with anyone.

"Y/n," Sam started, looking distraught, "I'm sorry I lost you. I should've reported it in immediately, but I wanted to try and find you first."

"No worries," You waved him off with a smile and he had a relieved one, "I went against your advice and Steve's orders, nothing after that is on you."

"Don't ever scare me like that again, alright?" He pointed at you with a smile and you nodded.

"Let us know if you need us," Steve told you, glancing at Romanoff who avoided everyone's eyes, "With anything."

"Will do, captain." You gave a small salute, making them chuckle, and they left.

Hesitantly turning back to Natasha, she crossed her arms with a huff, and looked at you with pursed lips. You knew you worried her and finding out that SHIELD cut the communications off between the two of you because they considered it a bias problem, you couldn't blame her. If you had been in her shoes and finding out the one person you couldn't contact for hours was possibly missing, let alone your fiancé, you probably would've stormed the building to find her. But she was a trained agent, an experienced assassin, and she had a job to do.

One of you actually follows orders.

This was on you and any argument she made would have to be taken with consideration of her side, like any argument, but now even more so because she was in the right.

"Why did you act so reckless?" She whispered; her voice strained.

This was a question you haven't even gotten a chance to ask yourself. You thought about it and she didn't rush you to answer her, just wanting you to be honest no matter how long the two of you had to stand there for. She was still in her tactical suit and you in your torn dress, now dirty, that was splattered with some blood. Your face and hair must look just awful too, but you hadn't caught your reflection yet.

If you were being completely, one hundred percent, honest with yourself, you needed to take on someone who caused so much pain and torture to others, including yourself. You were fueled by revenge and it felt fucking awesome to be able to take down some people in Hydra. Sure, their motto about cutting off two heads crossed your mind, but you didn't care. A dead Hydra commander and dead Hydra agents was always a win and maybe that would send them a message.

Oh.

That's the real truth.

You wanted to send them a message right back after they sent you such a thoughtful one in that forest a while back with Steve and Tony. They had captured you, sure, but you escaped leaving a mess and tonight tells them that you're just getting started. That thought alone sent a shiver down your spine, the anticipation of what's to come, and you had to fight back a smile.