143. Stolas

---

Author's Note: This chapter contains spoilers for the Helluva Boss episode The Full Moon. Go watch the episode before reading this chapter!

---

I wrapped my purple scarf over my chest as I strode through the courtyard at Stolas' palace, the piercing winter chill causing the healing wounds on my skin to ache a bit more than usual. After climbing the steps, I let out a long sigh and rapped a quick knock on the front doors.

The door clanked open to reveal an elderly imp clad in a dark suit, and he looked up at me with a friendly smile that was almost imperceptible beneath his large white mustache.

I smiled back and greeted him, "Good morning, Mr. Butler. How are you doing?"

"Good morning to you, too, my lady," he replied. "I'm well. Are you here to see His Highness?"

"I am."

He stepped aside to let me in, then closed the door behind me and started out of the foyer. "I must warn you, though, the master has been in low spirits as of late."

I slowed my stride, looking down at him. "Did something happen?"

He gave a small shrug. "I'm not sure. He won't tell anyone—he's become something of a recluse since the night of the full moon."

I pursed my lips. I already knew he'd met with Blitzø that night for one of their little "rendezvous", and I couldn't help but wonder if something had happened between the two of them. It was definitely a possibility—a possibility that made me angrier the more I thought about it.

From that first night I'd met him at Charlie's party, something about his behavior didn't sit well with me. Sure, he seemed like quite the character, someone who would be fun to party and have a few too many drinks with—but not someone I would want to build a life with. Not someone I would feel safe dropping the dreaded "L" word on, no matter how serious it may have seemed.

By the way he acted, he needed to work on himself before he could ever get close to anyone else. His insecurity seeped off of him like body odor, and it was obvious to those who knew what to look for. The signs were all there—and it baffled me a little that someone as bright and intelligent as Stolas wouldn't have been able to see them.

But I suppose when you wear rose-colored glasses, the red flags aren't nearly so evident.

Mr. Butler dropped me off at the door to Stolas' study, and I slowly wrapped my hand around the handle and pulled it open just enough to step inside.

The room was rather poorly lit, only a lamp or two in the far corners and the natural light pouring through the stained glass window illuminating the large space. As always, stacks of old leather tomes surrounded the desk in the center of the room, though a few lay open on the desktop. Silently seated at the desk, with his head nestled on top of his arms, was my friend.

"Stolas?"

Stolas' shoulders twitched at the sound of his name, and he lifted his head just enough to glance up at me. His four scarlet eyes glowed a little less vibrantly than usual, and dark half-moons hung below the lower pair of red orbs. He looked totally and utterly drained, as if he had been exerting himself for too long and had finally expended the last of his energy. Though he still appeared a bit surprised to see me.

"Oh, (Y/N)," he muttered, straightening up in his seat and clearing his throat. "I'm terribly sorry, I—I completely forgot about our—our meeting today. . ."