21. The Tea

It hurt to leave Wrath more than I thought it would. Early the next morning, Striker and I had checked out of the inn and rode to the elevator station where he saw me off.

"Got everything?" he said when we reached the terminal.

"Yeah," I replied. "I didn't bring that much with me, after all." I looked up at him with a knowing smile. "I wasn't expecting to stay as long as I did."

He chuckled, bending down slightly. "Take care of yourself, darlin'," he murmured. "I'll come visit soon." He planted a quick kiss on my cheek and half-smiled at me. "Lemme know when you get home."

I nodded and took a few steps toward the elevator. "Y'know, it'd be easier to let you know if I could text you," I remarked.

"Striker don't text," he retorted playfully. "Only calls." He smirked. "Besides, then you get to hear my rich, succulent voice."

I rolled my eyes before looking back at him one more time. "See you later, Striker."

"Bye, darlin'."

My shoes made a dull tmp sound with each step I took on the old linoleum floor. I walked down the hallway to my unit, carrying my backpack of work supplies as well as a small bag containing Stolas' belongings from the summer home. In my hands I held a green ceramic planter with a budding belladonna growing inside. I adjusted the red bandana that I'd folded into a wide strip and tied around my neck, ensuring it covered my fading bruise. A giddy smile tugged at my lips when I reached Stolas' room, and I knocked on the door.

I barely heard him say meekly, "Come in." I walked inside, immediately taking in the sight of all the gift baskets and wilting eye-rises (get it?). They had all been gifts from various high-ranking officials and parties affiliated with the Goetia family. Nearly every one of them came with him when he transferred from the Sloth ring. My planter would be the first gift he'd received since his first days in the hospital.

Stolas smiled at me as I entered and sat up in the bed. "Good to see you, dear."

"Likewise," I said, returning the smile. "I have your stuff from the summer home — and I found this for you, too."

I propped the planter on the bed rail for him to see. As he eyed the light purple flowers blooming on the nightshade, I noticed his arm was now out of its sling.

"It's beautiful, (Y/N)," he said, his fingertips brushing against one of the leaves. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." I set the planter on the nightstand. "I see they took your sling away."

"Oh!" He slowly lifted his arm, using his other hand to support it. "Yes. They removed it two days ago."

"Have you been working with physical therapy?"

"Of course," he replied.

"Good, I'd have to get onto you if you weren't," I quipped as I removed the book and small box from my bag and handed them to Stolas. "Here's the stuff you asked for."

"Thank you." He opened the box and quickly examined the Asmodean crystals inside.

I stepped toward the door and said, "Well, I'm going to go clock in and get report. Odds are I probably have you again tonight."

"Oh, (Y/N)," Stolas said, looking back up at me, "do you still have the crystal I gave you?"

I stopped in my stride. "Oh. Right." Reluctantly, I lifted my hand and tugged the pendant by the chain out from under my shirt. I stared down at the deep blue crystal for a moment before removing it from my neck and holding it out for Stolas. "Sorry about that."