96. The Meeting

---

Author's Note: This chapter contains content that may be disturbing or troubling for some readers. Please proceed with caution.

---

The new year came, and with it came the annual Extermination. Much to Charlie's relief, all of her residents at the Happy Hotel were spared, and she and the others were able to prepare for the meeting three days later in peace.

"Okay," sighed Charlie as she stepped out of the readied conference room to the sofa set in the hallway nearby. "Everything's set up and ready to go." She eyed Angel Dust on one of the sofas, observing that his low-cut blazer (with nothing underneath) and split-thigh mini skirt were a bit too revealing for her taste. "Angel, do you think you could put on something a little more modest?"

Angel glanced down at his breast fluff poking out of his top and raised an eyebrow at her. "Charlie, do you really think I'm gonna have any modest clothes in my closet? How long've you known me again?"

She groaned and pinched the bridge of her tiny nose. "Angel, just — please try to cover up. I don't think it's a good idea to be showing off that much skin in front of the angels."

He shrugged and hopped to his feet. "Alright, princess. But only 'cause it's you."

Charlie watched Angel head down the hall and let out another sigh, placing a hand on her chest.

"Smile, my dear!" Alastor approached her and clapped a hand on her shoulder. "You know you're never fully dressed without one — and you don't want to appear indecent in front of our guests!"

She cracked a small smile at her sponsor and gave his hand a light pat. "I know, Al. I'm just nervous. Everything I've worked for — everything we've worked for — it feels like it's all hanging on this meeting. . ."

Alastor's smile softened for a split-second. "It will be alright, sweetheart," he assured her, then flashed a toothy grin. "We'll sway them with our incomparable charm and charisma!"

Charlie giggled quietly, but jumped when she heard the clatter of the front doors opening. Taking a long, deep breath, she smoothed down her red blazer and walked to the main lobby. Her head reeled from her apprehension, but it stopped for a brief moment when she saw who had just come inside.

"(Y/N)?" she said, her brows furrowing in bewilderment. "What are you doing here?"

(Y/N) smiled and stuck her hands in her jacket pockets. "I'm off today," she replied with a coy shrug. "And I wanted to support my friend."

Charlie pursed her lips, clasping her hands together in front of her. "(Y/N), you're not in the program anymore — I don't want you feeling obligated to be here. You don't have to stay if you don't want to."

(Y/N) stepped toward her and craned her head to meet the princess's eyes. "Charlie, I may not be part of the program anymore. But you're my friend, and I'm gonna support you in anything you do."

A bittersweet smile tugged at Charlie's lips. "Thank you, (Y/N). That means a lot, really."

"Don't mention it," (Y/N) said softly. "It's the least I could do, after all you've done for me."

Charlie led her friend through the lobby to the hall just outside the conference room where the others had gathered. "How has work been?"

"Oh, yeah," said (Y/N) suddenly, as if she had just remembered something. "They had scheduled me to work the day of the Extermination — can you believe that?"