20. Truths Unveiled

"Brown guilty eyes and little white lies

"Brown guilty eyes and little white lies... When she's sleeping in the bed we made. Don't you dare forget about the way you betrayed me. Cause I know that you'll never feel sorry for the way I hurt."

Traitor - Olivia Rodrigo

.・。☽.・゜✭・.・

Upon our arrival back at camp, I immediately immersed myself in helping build the foxholes.  I was beginning to worry that if I sat still for too long, I would end up killing Bellamy, or Raven, or both of them. Keeping my hands busy kept my mind at ease, a much-welcomed distraction from the boiling rage that simmered beneath the surface.

The rhythm of digging became a release, each thrust of the shovel into the dirt kept the seething anger inside me at bay. I would be lying if I wasn't picturing Bellamy's face on the ground my shovel was tearing apart. I had never been the jealous type but something about Bellamy's actions ignited this storm inside me, and I didn't know how to stop it. 

As I knelt on the ground, the rough texture of the earth pressed into my knees, grounding me as I worked. I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear, my fingers briefly brushing against the sweat on my brow, before continuing to work on the foxhole Octavia and I were digging together. 

"Everything alright?" Octavia's voice broke through the silence, her tone laced with concern. Her question felt like a needle, pricking at the fragile bubble I had built around myself. I groaned in annoyance, my frustration bubbling to the surface. If someone asked me that question one more time, I was sure I would explode.

"Do I not look alright?" I retorted sharply, my voice dripping with sarcasm. Octavia rolled her eyes, dismissing my defensive response with a shake of her head. She knew me well enough to understand that my anger wasn't directed at her.

"Come on, Lu, you always look hot." She joked, her attempt at lightening the mood earning a small, reluctant smile from me. 

"I was referring to the fact that you've barely spoken for the last hour." She patted my shoulder reassuringly, her touch relaxing me. But before I could respond, Bellamy's voice boomed from a few meters away. 

"Come on! These foxholes aren't gonna build themselves!" His commanding tone grated on my nerves, each word like nails on a chalkboard. I rolled my eyes in irritation, his manipulative voice a constant source of aggravation.

"You better hope those landmines work, Reyes." Bellamy continued, his arms crossed over his chest as he stood over Raven. She was working alongside Octavia and me, her hands swiftly assembling the landmines with precision. "With all the gunpowder we're wasting, we could be making more grenades."

"You wanna come over here and test one?" Raven taunted with her voice was laced with sarcasm. I watched as a smirk played on her lips as she glanced up at him. I felt my anger bubbling to the surface as I clenched my fists to control my rage from surfacing.