9|MURDERERS

I'm paralyzed in place

I'm paralyzed in place. Warner's arm never left my back even though he was using his other hand to shoot Fletcher. I immediately pull away from him, horror-struck.

Fletcher looks horrified as his face freezes. I'm not sure if this is really happening. Once his body hits the ground, I come to realization.

There's a lake of maroon surrounding his body. No one else looks scared beside me, and I can't help but wonder if anyone else mourns for the loss of their fellow soldier.

I want to scream, but I can't. "Sector 45, you are dismissed."

Warner's hand that he used to kill Fletcher touches me. His arm is draped around me, as he pulls me close and tight. I can feel sweat dripping down the back of my neck and I hope Warner can't tell.

"Love?"

I don't want to speak. We finally go through the door back inside. He stops me, but all I can feel is the pain that Fletcher must have felt. I remember when I killed that soldier, and I wonder how many people have to loose their lives in Sector 45 everyday.

Warner stops. "Answer me, Emilia."

"You just killed him!" I whisper.

"Really? I hadn't noticed."

"You're ok with the fact that you just killed a man-"

"I did what needed to be done. Stay focused."

I grab the collar of his shirt, and I see his cheeks go pink in the slightest. Only for a second, until his guard goes back up. He's against the door. "You're disgusting."

Warner twists me around, and now I'm against the door. His breath falls against my face, and I'm trying not to look him in the eyes. He forces me to when he lifts my chin up.

I try to fight him cupping my face, but it is inevitable. His lips are so close to mine, and a small part of my heart just wants to lean in.

"Sometimes you have to shoot first, Emilia."

He's following me as I walk towards my room. It's depressing that I know my way around here so well.

"You need sleep, and you need to eat."

"I'm not worried about that right now, Warner. Where's Adam? Where's Kenji?"

Warner looks like he's trying to hold a fit of anger back. "Why would you care?"

I tremble in the slightest. "Why would I want you to kill someone else?"

I can't tell if I've said something ridiculous, because Warner's expression is certainly hinting that I did.

"I only kill if I need to." He's about to leave. "And why don't you try your best not to kill anyone as well?"

I hate that Warner finds it appropriate to compare my kill with his. Warner has killed many people on purpose, while I've killed one soldier by accident.