Chapter 9 (Ty) Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore!

"Marlene, what is happening?"

I can't believe the scene in front of me. After a great day with my little girl and her teacher at the Zoo, I hoped for a relaxing movie night before saying bye to them. 

What I was not expecting was seeing Alexia's face contorted in pain and hearing her slur her words. Something is definitely not right, and it is scary because it hit me out of nowhere.

I am used to seeing my brothers hurt in accidents or in some of our under-the-radar club activities. I've seen nasty wounds, but seeing Alexia so pale and out of it scared me. I know how to put pressure on an open, bloody wound. I don't know how to fix something I can't see.

"Ty, grab Alexia. We need to cover her eyes; light worsens the pain. Usually, if headaches pass a certain level of pain, there is no way to help her unless we give her a painkiller. Doc is on his way; we will meet at the mid-point. Selene will take care of Sammy."

"Prez, she ain't dying, change that face. But she is in a hell of a lot of pain, and the sooner we can give her a shot, the better for her."

I can drive like a maniac if needed, and that is precisely what I am doing right now while Marlene is in the back seat with Alexia covered with a blanket and the AC blasting cold air to try to help her.

 She is taking deep breaths like trying to calm herself, and in other moments, she whimpers in pain.

The most disturbing part is that she is in and out of reality, so the little words she says don't make sense—or at least, some don't. "Fear, pain, shame, alone." She says these words once in a while in between her deep breathing and sighs.

What should have taken us 25 minutes took us 15, and by then, Doc was arriving in his Harley. He is not a patched member of our club but works with us in emergency cases.

"What is going on?"

"This is a friend of the club. She started to feel dizzy and slurred her words. She claimed she had a bad headache before fainting. She has been in and out of consciousness since then. I think she suffers from acute migraine issues. She has a sumatriptan-prescribed bottle at home. It is from the National Brain Injury Institute, signed by Dr. Sullivan."

"OK, I am not a neurologist, but I am familiar with that medication and the Institute. They are a reference in the treatment of TBI. If she is slurring her words and almost unconscious, the pain must be above a 10. 

Marlene, help me here. We need to connect an IV with fluids to help her hydrate, and I am putting in the highest dosage possible of painkiller and anti-nausea medication. If we were at the ER, I could do a nerve blockage, but with this, she should feel better soon."

"Thank you, doc!"

"No problem, but if she is being treated at that Institute, I have the feeling this is probably common for her. It must be not easy to live with this condition. Do you know if she has a husband or roommate who can care for her tonight? The medication shouldn't cause side effects, but after a harsh episode like this one, patients can feel disoriented and weak when all is over."