Chapter 18 (Alexia) He is out!

My emotions are all over the place while trying to get home without causing an accident.

To think I was feeling bad because I stopped Ty's advances last night. I am glad we didn't get forward with his plans because, as he said, we are not on the same page.

I am upset and frustrated, but above all, I am so hurt. It's like there is a gap in my chest; I can hardly breathe, and I am desperate to escape. 

Good thing I am an expert on disappearing. I even have an emergency bag. I have always been paranoid that someday, my dragon will show up to finish what he started 15 years ago.

So, in between ugly crying, cursing, and fighting a raging headache, I rush through my apartment to grab my bag, my important documents, and a burner phone that I keep for this situation. I know GD has mad skills, and if assigned to it, he will try to track me, so now is the
time to go analog. I leave my cell phone (only writing down the sisters' number
so I can check on my dancing butterfly). 

With the burner, I order a taxi. From there, I go to an old diner on the outskirts of town. This place is so old that they still have a landline phone and no cameras. I ordered a sandwich to go, paid cash, and then ordered a new taxi.

That one takes me to a bus station two towns from where I was. I will switch buses at least one more time before making it to my destination. Try tracking that GD!

I recall a conversation I had with GD a few months ago. Almost right after I left the hospital. He asked me about my back story, and I told him he would never find out. He took it as a challenge and asked me some questions that I evaded. GD said that even if he couldn't track my past, he most likely would be able to track me now that he knew me. I laughed at that, letting him know that he would only be able to know where I was as long as I wanted him to. He took that one as a joke; he didn't know how serious I was, but now he will.

From the second bus, I called Olson and informed him of the plan change. He was not happy, but at least he hadn't traveled yet.

"You owe a plane ticket, Alexia! I didn't buy the insurance when I got this one."

"Well, whose fault is that, then?" I tried teasing Olson, but the comment felt flat as my energy levels were almost zero.

"Alexia, you are not doing well. I can hear it in your voice. I will wait for you at the station, and then we will have a long conversation. If one of the Fire Bringers did something to you, I will
make them pay."

"Relax, Alpha Dad, nothing to do to them, but thank you for being the only person I can count on," I said, resigned. 

For a moment these past months, I thought I had found my home and a potential partner, but I know better now.

Olson kept his word, and he was there waiting for me. He is the only person in the world who I truly trust. He was there when I woke up from the comma all those years ago. He wasn't family, and the hospital only let him around me because he used his officer badge.

Olson never married, claiming that he had seen enough shitty things to get attached to someone who could get hurt. However, he adopted me--if not legally, in principle--and has been the only constant in my life.

When I changed my name, moved out of my hometown, and started my
somewhat nomadic life, changing cities every so often, Olson was there through it all.

He listened to my concerns, brainstormed ideas, kept an eye on my dragon's case, and always met me in some little unknown town for the holidays. We changed locations every year because we wanted to make sure no one could track us or connect Olson to me.