Tom

The day of Francesca and Luca's wedding had finally arrived.
It was a cold yet sunny January morning, and it was barely sunrise when Pearl woke me up, - she was worried we were going to be late, even though the wedding wouldn't have started until 11 that morning.
A part of me was excited to be treated like part of Pearl's family, - I loved the feeling I got when she introduced me as her boyfriend.
The bigger part of me, though, was devastated: the wedding was the last thing we would've experienced together before me, Bill and Jocy left for L.A. the following day.
Me and Pearl didn't about talk about her leaving with me anymore, not after everything that happened to her.
It was obvious that I wanted her to be with me, but I didn't want to force her to leave, nor could I give up on my own life, - I loved her more than anything else in this world, and I wanted to stay there with her in Florence, but she was right when she said that I would've always missed something, and that something wasn't anything she could have gave me, just like I couldn't have gave her the peace of mind she found here.
I knew we would've find a way, no matter how hard long distance relationships can be, but I couldn't bring myself to ask her to leave again, - I didn't want her to give up on her life too.
I decided to put my thoughts aside so that we could've  at least enjoyed the last day we had together.
When I finally got out of bed, - at 7 am sharp,- Pearl was already eating her breakfast while she stared outside and watched Maggie playing in our garden.
Maggie was the other thing I would've missed, only second to Pearl, - I had gotten used to having a little puppy running around the house and showering us with love each time we got home, but I was going to leave her with Pearl, because I knew she needed her more than I did.

'Good morning baby', I said, kissing the top of Pearl's head and sitting next to her.
In front of me there was a plate full of fruit, yogurt, and a couple of eggs, - those were the things I would've missed the most, those simple yet so meaningful gestures.

'Hi', she said, a tired smile on her face and a cup of hot coffee in her hands.

'Did we have to wake up this early?', I asked, starting to eat my breakfast.

'Yes, we did', she sighed and stood up, walking to me and wrapping her arms around my shoulders.
'I have to wash my hair and get ready right now if I want to be on time. You finish your breakfast, take your time.'

She kissed my cheek and began to walk away, but I grabbed her wrist and stopped her before she left the kitchen.

'No matter what happens, I love you. Always and forever', I whispered.
The smile on her face widened, but I knew she knew exactly what I meant.

'I love you too, always and forever', she stared at me with love and trust in her eyes, - a look I could never get tired of.
She then left the kitchen and walked upstairs to get ready, while I washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen.

Pearl took three hours and a half to get ready, - she wouldn't let me touch her, speak to her, nor look at her, because she wanted to surprise me with her dress.
She was one of the bridesmaids, so I was sure that she would've looked absolutely stunning, but I had never gotten used to her beauty.
While she got ready in the bathroom, I began packing the last things I had in the bedroom, - I felt a huge weight on my stomach, so heavy that I could've cried, but I tried to keep it together to enjoy that day with my woman.
I put my black suit and matching tie on and waited for her to come out of the bathroom, but after another half an hour I couldn't wait anymore.
I walked to the bathroom and tried to open the door, but it was locked.

'Baby', I said, knocking on the door, 'are you almost done? You've been locked in here for hours.'

'Yeah', she said behind the closed door, 'I'm putting my shoes on, just give me a minute.'

'Why couldn't you just let the makeup artist do your make up?', I asked, resting my forehead against the door, 'you're one of the bridesmaid.'

'Yeah, I could've. But I wanted to stay here until I could.'