Chapter 2: Nakchadi

Family Group Chat:

Dad: "How did the interview go, Meera? We are expecting a good news."

Her heart sank further. She couldn't bear to tell them the truth just yet. Shoving the phone back into her pocket, she started walking again, determined to push through the day.

Meera Malhotra limped as she climed up the steps to her family's home, each step feeling heavier than the last.

She knew what awaited for her inside: disappointment, frustration, and the usual chorus of judgmental comments from her parents.

Composing herself, she opened the door and stepped into the living room.

The room fell silent as her family turned to face her. Her father, Anil Malhotra, sat at the head of the dining table, his expression a mixture of stern disapproval and irritation.

Her mother, Priyanka, stood nearby, arms crossed, eyes narrowed.

"Well?" Rajesh's voice cut through the silence like a knife. "How did it go?"

Meera forced a neutral expression. "I didn't get the investment."

Priyanka threw her hands up in exasperation. "Of course, you didn't. Why would you? You're always so unprepared, Meera."

She snickered. "Guess it's back to square one for you. Kuch nhi ho sakta iss ladki ka"

Meera's shoulders slumped. "I did my best. It just didn't work out."

"Your best is never good enough, is it?" Anil said, his tone cold. "We've given you every opportunity, and this is how you repay us?"

"Enough, Anil," a soft but firm voice interrupted. Meera's grandmother, Dadi, stepped into the room, her eyes full of quiet strength. "Let the girl breathe."

Anil frowned but said nothing more. Dadi walked over to Meera, taking her hand gently. "Come with me, beta."

Meera followed her Dadi to her room, away from the harsh judgments of the rest of the family. Dadi closed the door behind them and turned to face Meera.

"Sit down, Meera," she said, patting the bed beside her. "Tell me what happened."

Meera told her everything and, she listened intently, her presence calming Meera's nerves.

When she finished, tears threatened to spill over, but Dadi pulled her into a comforting embrace.

"It's okay, baccha," Nani whispered. "You tried your best. That's all anyone can ask of you."

Meera nodded, sniffling. "I just feel like I can't do anything right."

Dadi stroked her hair gently. "You are stronger than you know, Meera. Tum yaha tak akeli aayi ho. Don't let their words bring you down. "you will find your way."

As they sat there, a knock came at the door. Meera's mother entered, holding an envelope. "This came for you," Priyanka said, handing it to Meera without meeting her eyes.

Meera took the envelope and opened it, her eyes widening as she read the contents.

Meera's POV

"Its Saanvi's engagement invitation..wow I can't believe she's marrying this early" I said as I flipped through the invitation. Dadi hummed.

"What do you think dadi?" "About what?" "You know her getting married this early, she's still young and there's a whole lot to do. Her career and sab..i dont think its the right time" I said.

"Well I don't think there's ever a right time.." dadi said and continued. "I think there's a right time for everything. I do agree that are other things she can focus on but beta..she can still do all those. Some people get married late..some get married early. Nothing wrong with either. She found her right person and the right time. They love eachother now they will be eachothers pillar. She can still work right" Dadi said and smiled.

I just nodded she wasn't wrong but if it were upto me. I would have waited for sometime.

"You know I got married with your Dadu when I was 17, he was 19 at that time. Tabhi toh you know arrange marriages were so common. And every other person I saw who got married, were arranged forcefully I felt bad for them. I was worried mera bhi aisa hi hoga but.." she smiled again.

"but?" I asked. "But then I met your dadu..my aunt had brought his rishta to us. I met him, hardly 1 time but with him it didn't feel like I was forced. He was a great man" she said looking down missing him.

"I'm happy you met Dadu warna I wouldn't be in this world hearing all these cute moments!" I said and laughed. She did too.

Dadi smiled warmly. "and it also seems you have an opportunity for a change of scenery. Maybe this is exactly what you need. waha enjoy karna "

Sidharth's Departure

Meanwhile, Sidharth was doing the final packing for his trip to Singapore. He had some personal matters to attend to as well. As he zipped up his suitcase, his thoughts kept drifting back to Meera.

Their encounter earlier that day had stirred up a whirlwind of emotions, "nakchadi" he thought and giggled.

"Tu soch bhi kya raha hai Sid?" he muttered to himself, shaking his head.

He glanced at the clock. It was time to leave for the airport.

_________

comment n vote!🩷