Chapter 20

18th of March

Megumi's pov

This past month has been complicated, too complicated. It hasn't been a good period overall. Apart from our own personal life, school occupied all of my and Yuji's time. We weren't the only victims, lots of students are awfully occupied during these last months of school. Truth is that Yuji and I suffered a departure. In fact, we barely even spoke to each other. We were so fed up with our personal stuff that we put all of our efforts in that and the people that surrounded us. Except us. The strong relationship we had built with difficulty in the previous months, took a back seat automatically. Consequently, the heaviness of those past weeks caused a stockpile of frustration and weariness. We didn't stop talking, nor tried avoiding each other obviously. We had small conversations in the free time we found, which however gave rise to useless discussions over the most unimportant things most of the time. That just increased the chasm that was already present between us. Jealousy, little time, stress, almost non-existent ability to handle the minuscule troubles in the relationship, caused a leak of incandescent material which ended up just hurting both of us.

The last straw had been a night-out I spent with some friends I met for the first time around a month ago. He didn't know any of them but that was fine anyway. The plan was to go to one of the many night clubs in the city centre. However, we slipped in a club without paying and didn't get caught; there was a huge party. Five of the group were busy making out or probably fucking. Meanwhile Miko, Kuro and I spent our time outside smoking weed. I desperately needed to relax and break contact for some time with reality. I felt the urge to find some peace between the chaos that was going on.

"How you and Itadori doing?"Miko asked me while we sat on a small wall. She knew about us. Actually, after three weeks since Yuji and I became official, we revealed our relationship to some people we were close with. I sighed.

"Not too well."I told her after taking a huge puff.

"What's going on between you two?"Her and I had got along quickly, confiding to each other some details of our private life.

"Just stress and stuff."I didn't really feel like talking about that. Thinking about him hurt me and changed my mood drastically sometimes. I missed us. "I just want to forget about all the problems for a while."She just nodded in silence while smoking with me. She hugged me after, trying to reassure me. It didn't really help me. The only one that could have helped me was Yuji but he wasn't there. I smoked far too much that night. I even drank two cocktails. I felt more relaxed after, that's for sure. But it wasn't the right way to feel relaxed in such a situation. I came home, where Yuji was waiting for me, at about four in the morning. I felt a heavy atmosphere collapse on my shoulders as soon as I crossed the door. I wanted to escape so much that I had totally forgotten about my phone. That was when I realised my huge mistake at the door hall. I had forgotten about my phone. That implies I forgot about texting him as well. He was inside my head all the time, despite that I haven't thought even for a moment of hearing from him. I took my phone from my pocket as fast as I could, while anxiety began devouring my limbs unconcernedly. There were about thirty messages from him, along with six phone calls at different times. I sighed, rubbing my eyes in defeat. My body was already completely abandoned to my agitation, sign of my trembling hands. I raised my gaze and noticed that the light of the minor lamp in the living room was still on. I rushed to see whether he was still awake or not. I wanted to apologise for being such an idiot and forgetting to text him. I tilted my head from the entrance and saw him barely awake, he was probably about to fall asleep. He seemed so cute but I couldn't say that. I came closer to him and crouched next to the sofa, where he was laying. His eyes looked like hairline cracks, making me feel worse. He was waiting for me and was certainly worried as hell. I felt terrible.