Chapter 4: Shadows of Deception

Once So Young left, Joo-wan's expression shifted from one of longing to one of cold calculation. Alone in his apartment, he poured himself another glass of wine and leaned back into the couch, staring at the ceiling. His mind raced with thoughts of revenge and ambition.

Joo-wan's hatred for Hoshi ran deep, festering from years of feeling overshadowed by his cousin. Hoshi, the golden child, the sole heir to the Kwon family fortune, had always been the center of attention, while Joo-wan was relegated to the sidelines. The resentment had grown into a burning desire to see Hoshi fall from grace. And after the death of Hoshi's parents it was a written fact that Hoshi would be the sole heir of the Kwon family and was being prepared for ever since Hoshi was 5 years old.

He picked up his phone and scrolled through the messages from So Young, a smirk playing on his lips. Manipulating her had been easier than he anticipated. She was so eager for excitement and freedom that she didn't see the web he was weaving around her.

Joo-wan's thoughts turned dark as he contemplated his next move. He knew that to bring Hoshi down, he needed to strike at his weakest point—his emotions. And So Young was the perfect tool for that. Her entanglement with both men created the perfect storm of jealousy and betrayal that Joo-wan could exploit.

Joo-wan's eyes gleamed with a malevolent light as he plotted his next steps. He needed to plant more seeds of doubt in So Young's mind about Hoshi. The more she believed Hoshi was unworthy of her, the easier it would be to manipulate her actions. And when the time was right, he would reveal the full extent of Hoshi's supposed betrayal, shattering her trust and pushing her further into Joo-wan's arms.

Joo-wan took a sip of his wine, savouring the taste of his impending victory. "Soon, Hoshi," he muttered to himself. "Soon, you'll lose everything you hold dear. And I'll be the one standing on top."

The next morning, Joo-wan was already planning his next encounter with So Young. He needed to maintain his facade of affection and concern, keeping her off-balance and dependent on him. At the same time, he would start reaching out to potential allies within the company, subtly undermining Hoshi's authority and planting doubts about his leadership.

He picked up his phone and sent a message to So Young.

Joo-wan: Good morning, beautiful. Hope you slept well. Can we meet tonight? I miss you already.

He knew she would respond positively. She was already too deeply entwined in his web to easily escape. And as she fell further, Hoshi's downfall would be inevitable.

Joo-wan's phone buzzed with a new message from So Young.

So Young: Good morning, Joo-wan. Of course, I'd love to see you tonight. Missing you too.

He grinned, knowing he had her wrapped around his finger. But tonight wasn't just about keeping So Young hooked; it was also about setting the stage for his next move against Hoshi.

Meanwhile, Hoshi leaned back in his office chair, staring at the invitation card on his desk. It was for a private party, an exclusive gathering for the wealthy elite, hosted by Min Ho, one of the top CEOs, to celebrate his birthday and engagement. Hoshi typically despised such events, filled with superficial conversations and pretentious displays of wealth. But this time, he saw an opportunity—an opportunity to take So Young as his date and solidify their relationship in the eyes of their social circle.

Hoshi: So Young, I know you're not a fan of these parties, but I want you to come with me. It's important.

He sent the message and waited for her reply, hoping she would agree. 

So Young stared at her phone, her fingers tapping idly against the screen. She had agreed to go to the party with Hoshi, but her mind wandered to Joo-wan. She wished she could attend with him instead, feeling a pang of longing for the excitement and danger he brought into her life. However, she knew that attending a high-profile event with Hoshi was necessary, given the societal expectations and the opportunity it presented to solidify their status.

With a sigh of annoyance, she accepted her fate. She texted Hoshi back, confirming her attendance.

So Young: Of course, Hoshi. I'll be there with you.

A smile tugged at the corners of Hoshi's lips. He felt a sense of relief and excitement, looking forward to showing her off at the party.

Meanwhile, across town, Wonwoo sat in his luxurious office, the invitation to Min Ho's party lying unopened on his desk. He had no interest in attending such events, preferring to remain in the shadows, orchestrating his empire from behind the scenes. Mingyu entered the office, noticing the unopened invitation.

"Boss, I see you haven't decided about Min Ho's party. It's a perfect opportunity, Boss," Mingyu suggested. "You can form valuable connections with other CEOs. It might also give us new leads on Tiger."

Wonwoo hesitated. He preferred to stay out of the public eye, but Mingyu had a point. Reluctantly, he nodded.

"Fine. I'll go. But we won't stay long.," Wonwoo said, his mind already strategising how to use the event to his advantage.

Mingyu nodded, satisfied with the decision. "Understood, Boss. I'll make the arrangements."

That evening, Joo-wan met So Young at a quiet, upscale restaurant. The ambiance was perfect—dim lighting, soft music, and a secluded corner where they could talk undisturbed. As they sat down, he reached across the table, gently taking her hand.

"You seem distracted," he said softly, his eyes searching hers.

So Young sighed, her expression conflicted. "It's just... there's a lot going on. Hoshi wants me to go to this party with him, and I feel obligated. But honestly, I'd rather be with you."

Joo-wan after hearing those words wanted to smirk so bad, but he kept his expression neutral. "I understand, So Young. It's important for you to maintain appearances. But remember, I'm always here for you, no matter what."

He leaned in closer, his voice dropping to a whisper. "You know, sometimes I feel like Hoshi doesn't truly appreciate you. He takes you for granted."

So Young's eyes widened slightly, a flicker of doubt crossing her face. "What do you mean?"

Joo-wan tightened his grip on her hand, his expression earnest. "I've heard things, seen how he acts. It's like you're just another accessory to him, not someone he truly values. You deserve better, So Young. You deserve someone who sees you for who you really are."

He watched as his words sank in, planting the seeds of doubt and mistrust. She looked down at their joined hands, her brow furrowing.

"I... I don't know, Joo-wan. Sometimes I feel that way too, but then I think maybe I'm overreacting."

Joo-wan shook his head. "You're not overreacting. You're seeing things clearly. Just... be careful, alright? And remember, I'm always here if you need someone to talk to."

So Young nodded, a mixture of gratitude and confusion in her eyes. Joo-wan knew he had her exactly where he wanted her.

At the same time, Joo-wan felt a surge of satisfaction when So Young agreed to attend the party with Hoshi. He knew her thoughts were torn between him and Hoshi, and it was only a matter of time before she fully succumbed to his manipulation.