Chapter 6: Party rendezvous (2)

So Young excused herself with a polite smile and made her way towards the restroom, her heart pounding with nerves and anticipation. She knew she shouldn't be meeting Joo-wan, especially not here and especially not behind Hoshi's back, but there was something about him that drew her in despite her better judgment.

As she entered the restroom, she quickly checked her appearance in the mirror, adjusting her hair and smoothing down her dress. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she stepped out and scanned the room, looking for any sign of Joo-wan.

Her heart skipped a beat when she spotted him leaning against a pillar near the entrance to the restroom area. He looked up as she approached, his smile smooth and charming.

"So Young, I didn't expect to see you here," Joo-wan greeted her, his eyes lingering on her figure appreciatively.

So Young forced a smile, trying to maintain her composure. "I needed a break from the crowd. It's quite overwhelming."

Joo-wan nodded in understanding, though there was a glint of something knowing in his eyes. "I know what you mean. These events can be suffocating at times."

They stood there for a moment, a silent understanding passing between them. So Young couldn't help but feel a rush of excitement mingled with guilt. She knew she shouldn't be here, chatting with Joo-wan like this, but there was an undeniable attraction and curiosity that kept her rooted to the spot.

"Is everything alright, So Young?" Joo-wan asked, his voice soft yet probing.

So Young hesitated, her thoughts racing. "I... I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed. Hoshi and I... things are complicated."

Joo-wan's expression softened, and he stepped closer, his voice dropping to a whisper. "You don't have to pretend with me, So Young. I know things aren't as perfect as they seem."

So Young's heart raced at his words, a mixture of fear and exhilaration flooding her senses. "What do you mean?"

Joo-wan glanced around to ensure they were alone before leaning in closer. "I know about Hoshi's family, about his ambitions. He's not who you think he is."

So Young's eyes widened in shock and confusion. "What do you mean? Hoshi has always been honest with me."

Joo-wan shook his head, his gaze intense. "There are things he hasn't told you, things he's hiding. I can help you, So Young. I can show you the truth."

So Young's mind whirled with conflicting emotions. She wanted to believe Joo-wan, to trust that he had her best interests at heart, but a nagging doubt crept in. What if Joo-wan had ulterior motives? What if he was just manipulating her for his own gain?

Before she could respond, the restroom door opened, and a group of women entered, chattering excitedly about the party. So Young glanced at Joo-wan, her heart pounding with indecision.

"I... I need some time to think," she whispered, taking a step back.

Joo-wan nodded, his smile returning, though there was a hint of disappointment in his eyes. "Of course, So Young. Take your time. I'll be here if you need me."

So Young forced a smile, her mind in turmoil, before turning and slipping back into the crowd. She couldn't shake off the conversation with Joo-wan, the doubts and questions swirling in her mind.

As she rejoined Hoshi at their table, she plastered on a smile, trying to push aside the unease that had settled in her chest. 

Hoshi gently took So Young's hand as she sat down beside him. "Are you okay?" he asked, his voice laced with concern.