Chapter 3: Confession & Confusion

The thrill she had felt with Joo-wan was now replaced by a gnawing anxiety. Her dual life was becoming harder to maintain, and the stakes were getting higher.

Just as she was about to get up, her studio door creaked open. So Young's heart raced, but she was relieved to see her assistant, Ji-eun, walk in.

"Morning, So Young. Everything okay?" Ji-eun asked, noticing the tension in So Young's demeanor.

"Yes, just a bit tired," So Young replied, forcing a smile. "Anything urgent?"

Ji-eun handed her a stack of design portfolios. "These need your approval by noon. And Hoshi called earlier, asking if you could have lunch with him today."

So Young's heart sank. She couldn't avoid Hoshi forever, but facing him after a night with Joo-wan was the last thing she wanted. "Thanks, Ji-eun. I'll call him back."

As Ji-eun left, So Young took a deep breath and dialed Hoshi's number. The phone rang twice before he picked up.

"So Young, are you okay? I was worried when you didn't answer last night," Hoshi's voice was filled with genuine concern.

"Sorry, Hoshi. I must have been more tired than I realised and fell asleep early. How about lunch today?" So Young suggested, trying to sound as normal as possible.

"Sure, I'll pick you up at noon," Hoshi replied, relief evident in his voice.

After ending the call, So Young leaned back in her chair, trying to calm her racing thoughts. She had to keep her worlds separate, no matter the cost.

Meanwhile, across town, Wonwoo was in a different kind of turmoil. The search for Tiger consumed him. His office, a fortress of power and control, felt empty without the certainty of knowing where his old friend was.

Mingyu returned with updates. "Boss, we've traced some old contacts. There's a possibility Tiger might have left the country."

Wonwoo's eyes narrowed. "Keep digging. I need answers, Mingyu. Whatever it takes."

Mingyu nodded, understanding the gravity of the task. "We'll find him, Boss. I promise."

As Wonwoo said this he caressed the moon pendant of the necklace that was hanging from his neck which was the only thing that his Tiger gave him before disappearing into thin air.

Back in her studio, So Young tried to focus on her work. But thoughts of Joo-wan and the inevitable meeting with Hoshi kept intruding. By noon, she had barely made any progress.

Hoshi arrived right on time, his smile warm and reassuring. "Ready for lunch?" he asked.

So Young nodded, trying to match his enthusiasm. "Yes, let's go."

As they walked to a nearby café, Hoshi talked about his day at the hospital, the patients he had seen, and the challenges he faced. So Young listened, but her mind was elsewhere, constantly drifting back to Joo-wan.

Over lunch, Hoshi reached across the table and took her hand. "You seem distant, So Young. Is something bothering you?"

She hesitated, searching for the right words. "I'm just a bit overwhelmed with work. I'll be fine."

Hoshi squeezed her hand gently. "You know you can tell me anything, right?"

So Young nodded, wanting to shrug of the very little sense of guilt she was feeling. She forced a smile and changed the subject, trying to keep the conversation light.

After lunch, Hoshi walked her back to her studio. "Take care, So Young. I'll see you later," he said, giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

That evening, as she sat alone in her studio, her phone buzzed again. It was Joo-wan.

Joo-wan: Had a great time last night. Can't wait to see you again.

So Young: Be there soon.

As she typed the message  her emotions a tangled mess of guilt and excitement. 

Arriving at Joo-wan's apartment, So Young was pulled into a passionate embrace, and for a moment, all her worries melted away. They settled into the living room, sipping on wine as they lounged on the couch. Joo-wan looked at her with an intensity that sent shivers down her spine. "You know, So Young, there's something I've been meaning to tell you."

So Young raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "What is it?"

Joo-wan leaned in closer, his voice dropping to a whisper. "Hoshi is my cousin."

The revelation hit So Young like a punch to the gut. She pulled back, staring at Joo-wan in shock. "What? How... Why didn't you tell me before?"

A bitter smile played on Joo-wan's lips. "Because I hate him. Hoshi always got everything he didn't deserve. Including you."

So Young's mind raced, trying to process this new information. "What do you mean?"

Joo-wan's eyes darkened with resentment. "Hoshi has always been selfish, taking what isn't his. He doesn't deserve you, So Young. He never did. I watched him take everything from me, and now he's taken you too."

So Young felt a pang of guilt, but also a flicker of understanding. Joo-wan's bitterness was palpable, his hatred for Hoshi clear. She realized she was caught in the middle of a family feud far more complicated than she had imagined.

"Joo-wan, I..." she began, but he cut her off.

Joo-wan's expression softened, and he reached out to gently hold So Young's hand. "I really want to be with you, So Young. I love you more than you can imagine, and it tears me apart to see you with Hoshi."

So Young's heart ached for Joo-wan. The pain in his voice was undeniable, and she could feel the depth of his emotions. She leaned in, embracing him tightly. "Joo-wan, I care about you too. But this... this is so complicated."

They sat in silence for a moment, wrapped in each other's arms. The weight of their situation hung heavy in the air, but for now, they found solace in each other's presence.

After a while, So Young pulled back slightly, looking into Joo-wan's eyes. "I need to go, Joo-wan. There's some work I need to finish tonight."

Joo-wan nodded, his eyes filled with a mix of longing and resignation. "I understand. Just promise me you'll think about what I said."

"I will," So Young whispered, giving him one last kiss before standing up to leave. "Take care, Joo-wan."

As she walked back to her studio, her mind was a whirlwind of emotions. The revelation about Joo-wan and Hoshi's relationship added another layer of complexity to her already tumultuous life. She knew she had to make a decision soon, but the path forward seemed anything but clear.

Back at her studio, So Young tried to immerse herself in her work, but her thoughts kept drifting back to Joo-wan and Hoshi. The dual life she had been leading was becoming increasingly untenable, and the time was fast approaching when she would have to choose.

That night, as she lay in bed, sleep eluded her. The faces of Joo-wan and Hoshi swirled in her mind, each pulling her in different directions. The thrill and danger with Joo-wan, the status and stability with Hoshi—both had their advantages, but neither path seemed without pain.

As with Joo-wan she was herself and was free but had to sacrifice the life of wealth even though Joo-wan was rich but not as rich as Hoshi. While with Hoshi she had to put on a fake demeanour to enjoy all the things that she has ever wanted in her whole life and Hoshi being a sweet guy was always there for her. But right her views on Hoshi was being unclear as she was recalling what Joo-wan said about Hoshi being selfish, and taking what isn't his.

With a heavy heart, So Young closed her eyes, hoping that sleep would bring some clarity. The future was uncertain, but she knew one thing for sure: the decisions she made in the coming days would shape the rest of her life.