Chapter 21. The Disappearing Act

It was a typical evening in Axel's most bustling tavern, where laughter and the clinking of mugs filled the air. Kazuma, as usual, was enjoying a rare moment of peace and camaraderie with his companions: the explosive-obsessed Arch Wizard Megumin, the masochistic Crusader Darkness, the somewhat lonely but earnest Arch Wizard Yunyun, and the self-proclaimed goddess Aqua. However, something seemed off. Without warning, Kazuma excused himself and slipped out of the tavern, heading back to the mansion alone.

The girls exchanged puzzled glances.

"What's with Kazuma?" Megumin asked, her crimson eyes narrowing in suspicion.

"Who knows," Aqua replied, swirling her drink. "He's always doing weird things."

"But it's not like him to just leave without a word," Darkness added, concern evident in her voice. "We should check on him."

The trio, along with Yunyun, made their way back to the mansion. It was eerily quiet as they entered, the only sound being the creak of the wooden floor beneath their feet. They called out for Kazuma, their voices echoing through the empty halls. Room after room, they searched, but Kazuma was nowhere to be found.

"Where could he have gone?" Yunyun asked, worry creeping into her voice.

"He must be hiding somewhere," Megumin muttered, frustration building. "Or maybe he slipped out again without us noticing."

"But why would he do that?" Darkness wondered aloud. "What could be so important?"

The next day, the search for Kazuma resumed. They combed through Axel, visiting his usual haunts and asking everyone if they had seen him. But no one had any information. Desperation mounting, they decided to post a lookout notice in the guild, hoping someone might spot him.

As they pinned the notice to the board, they were approached by Dust and Keith.

"Hey, what's up?" Dust asked, his usual smirk in place. "Why the long faces?"

"We're looking for Kazuma," Aqua explained. "He disappeared last night, and we can't find him anywhere."

"That's weird," Keith said, scratching his head. "We haven't seen him either. But did you hear about the Halloween festival coming up? Maybe he's planning something for that?"

The mention of the festival sparked a glimmer of hope. Aqua, ever the optimist, clapped her hands together. "Of course! Kazuma must be planning a big surprise for the festival! That's why he's been so secretive!"

Darkness nodded slowly. "It makes sense. Kazuma does like to go all out for events."

But Megumin wasn't entirely convinced. "I don't know... Kazuma isn't exactly known for his elaborate planning. It still feels off."

Despite their lingering doubts, the girls decided to prepare for the festival, hoping to be ready for whatever Kazuma had in store. They spent the next few days shopping for Halloween costumes and decorations, trying to keep their spirits high. Yunyun picked out a witch's costume, while Aqua chose a goddess outfit (which wasn't much different from her usual attire). Darkness opted for a knight's costume, and Megumin, of course, went for something explosive-themed.

However, as the days passed and Kazuma still hadn't returned, Megumin's worry grew. She couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong.

Back at the mansion, Aqua and the others did their best to comfort Megumin.

"Don't worry," Aqua said, patting Megumin's shoulder. "Kazuma will come back. He's too lazy to stay away for long."

"Yeah," Darkness agreed. "He's probably just caught up in some scheme. He'll show up any moment now."

Yunyun nodded in agreement, trying to stay positive. "We'll all be together for the festival, I'm sure of it."

Just then, a knock on the door interrupted their conversation. Standing there was Wiz, the lich who ran the local magic item shop. Aqua's eyes widened in alarm.

"A demon!" Aqua shrieked. "Purification!"

A burst of holy magic shot from Aqua's hands, hitting Wiz squarely. The lich staggered, clearly weakened but still standing.

"Wait!" Wiz cried out, her voice strained. "Please, don't kill me! I need to talk to Kazuma. It's urgent!"

Megumin and the others quickly intervened, pulling Aqua back.

"Stop, Aqua!" Megumin said firmly. "Wiz isn't a threat. She runs the magic shop in town."

Wiz, looking relieved, nodded gratefully. "Thank you. I have an important message for Kazuma."

Upon learning that Kazuma was missing, Wiz's expression turned grave. "This is bad," she said. "I came to warn Kazuma that Vanir has returned. He has some kind of plan to cause harm to the city. I don't know the details, but it's urgent that Kazuma knows."

The news hit them like a bolt of lightning. Vanir, a powerful demon, returning with malicious intent, was the last thing they needed right now.

"We need to find Kazuma," Darkness said, her voice filled with determination. "If Vanir is back, we'll need him more than ever."

"Agreed," Megumin said, her resolve hardening. "Let's start searching again. We can't waste any more time."

As they prepared to set out once more, Megumin glanced at her friends, feeling a surge of hope. Together, they would find Kazuma and face whatever challenges lay ahead. For now, the Halloween festival could wait. The safety of Axel and their friend was far more important.

With renewed determination, the group set out, ready to face whatever dangers came their way. Kazuma might be missing, but they would not give up. Their bonds of friendship and the spirit of adventure would see them through.