𝐱𝐯. you dropped this

CALL YOUR MOM

ACT ONE: i'm called
mr forgettable

chapter fifteen. you dropped this

MITCHELL NEVER GOT PEACE; AWAKE OR asleep

MITCHELL NEVER GOT PEACE; AWAKE OR asleep. That's why he wasn't surprised to wake up multiple times in the night hearing himself saying things like: 'no! stop!' and 'it wasn't my fault.' At least these nightmares were things he experienced in the past, and not some random dead person's memory.

Leo docked the ship at a pier in Charleston Harbor, right next to the seawall. Along the shore was a historical district with tall mansions, palm trees, and wrought-iron fences. Antique cannons pointed at the water.

By the time Mitchell came up on deck, Jason, Frank, and Leo had already left for the museum. According to Coach Hedge, they'd promised to be back by sunset. Piper, Hazel and Annabeth were ready to go, which confused the hell out of Mitchell.

"Why haven't you left?" He asked, tying his hair back into a (very pathetic) ponytail.

Annabeth snorted at the sight. "You're coming with us."

"You said it was a girls trip."

"You look like one, so that's close enough."

"Stereotypical much." Mitchell grumbled, but he didn't try to fight Annabeth at all, since he knew it was a dumb idea. He turned to Percy, who was leaning on the starboard rail, gazing over the bay. "What are you going to do while we're gone?"

"Jump into the harbor," Percy said casually, "I want to try communicating with the local Nereids. Maybe they can give me some advice about how to free those captives in Atlanta. Besides, I think the sea might be good for me. Being in that aquarium made me feel . . . unclean." His hair was dark and tangled as usual, but Mitchell noticed the streak of grey he had on one side.

When the two of them were fourteen, they'd taken turns holding the weight of the sky. The strain left them all with some gray hair. Mitchell's was the most prominent, but Percy's stuck out like a sore thumb with his jet-black hair.

Mitchell nodded. "Good luck, Nemo. Just come back to me, okay?"

"I will," he promised. "You do the same."

Mitchell tried to push down his growing unease. He turned to Piper, Hazel and Annabeth. "Okay. Let's find the ghost of the Battery."

Afterward, Mitchell wished he'd jumped into the harbour with Percy. He even would've preferred a museum full of ghosts.

Not that he minded hanging out with the three girls. At first, they had a pretty good time walking along the Battery. According to the signs, the seaside park was called White Point Gardens. The ocean breeze swept away the muggy heat of the summer afternoon, and it was pleasantly cool under the shade of the palmetto trees.