𝐱𝐢𝐯. yummy fire

CALL YOUR MOM

ACT TWO: i am just
a freak

chapter twenty four. yummy fire

MITCHELL CURSED HIMSELF MENTALLY FOR letting Percy jump in after him

MITCHELL CURSED HIMSELF MENTALLY FOR letting Percy jump in after him. Although, he felt almost at peace, even though he was falling to a very painful death. He was being held tightly in Percy's arms, and there wasn't any other way he wished to go out.

The air grew hotter and damper, as if they were plummeting into the throat of a massive dragon. Mitchell wrapped his arms around Percy and he heard Percy trying not to sob.

Mitchell pressed his lips to Percy's ear. "I love you."

He wasn't sure where those three words came from — but if they were going to die, Mitchell wanted those to be his last words.

Neither of them had the power to fly — not like Jason, who could control the wind, or Frank, who could turn into a winged animal. If they reached the bottom at terminal velocity . . . well, Mitchell knew enough science to know it would be terminal.

He was seriously wondering whether they could fashion a parachute out of their shirts — that's how desperate he was — when something about their surroundings changed.

The darkness took on a grey-red tinge. He realised he could see Percy's hair as he hugged him. The whistling in Mitchell's ears turned into more of a roar. The air became intolerably hot, permeated with a smell like rotten eggs.
Suddenly, the chute they'd been falling through opened into a vast cavern.

Maybe half a mile below them, Mitchell could see the bottom. For a moment he was too stunned to think properly. The entire island of Manhattan could have fitted inside this cavern — and he couldn't even see its full extent. Red clouds hung in the air like vaporised blood. The landscape — at least what he could see of it — was rocky black plains, punctuated by jagged mountains and fiery chasms.

To the left, the ground dropped away in a series of cliffs, like colossal steps leading deeper into the abyss. The stench of sulphur made it hard to concentrate, but Mitchell focused on the ground directly below them and saw a ribbon of glittering black liquid — a river.

"Percy!" he yelled in Percy's ear. "Water!" He gestured frantically.

Percy's face was hard to read in the dim red light. He looked shell-shocked and terrified, but he nodded as if he understood. Percy could control water — assuming that was water below them. He might be able to cushion their fall somehow.

Of course Mitchell had heard horrible stories about the rivers of the Underworld. They could take away your memories, or burn your body and soul to ashes. But he decided not to think about that. This was their only chance.