𝐱𝐱. happy b'day

CALL YOUR MOM

ACT ONE: i'm called
mr forgettable

chapter twenty. happy b'day

MITCHELL TRIED TO MAKE THE BEST OF THE situation, which was genuinely surprising since he was a Debby Downer

Once he, Piper and Jason had gotten tired of pacing the deck, listening to Coach Hedge sing "Old MacDonald" (with weapons instead of animals), they decided to have a picnic in the park. Mitchell didn't want to, but he felt obliged to.

Hedge grudgingly agreed. "Stay where I can see you."

"What are we, kids?" Jason asked.

Hedge snorted. "Kids are baby goats. They're cute, and they have redeeming social value. You are definitely not kids."

They spread their blanket under a willow tree next to a pond. Piper turned over her cornucopia and spilled out an entire meal—neatly wrapped sandwiches, canned drinks, fresh fruit, and (for some reason) a birthday cake with purple icing and candles already lit.

She frowned. "Is it someone's birthday?"

Jason winced. "I wasn't going to say anything."

"Jason!"

"There's too much going on," he said. "And honestly . . . before last month, I didn't even know when my birthday was. Thalia told me the last time she was at camp."

Mitchell looked almost sad for a moment. He kind of related. He had only experienced four of his birthdays, and only two of them were important. From when he was ten forward, he no longer celebrated it. Lemon slices became too difficult to face.

Jason had been given to Lupa the wolf when he was only two years old. He'd never really known his mortal mom. He'd only been reunited with his sister last winter.

"July First," Piper said. "The Kalends of July."

"Yeah." Jason smirked. "The Romans would find that auspicious—the first day of the month named for Julius Caesar. Juno's sacred day. Yippee."

Piper didn't want to push it, or make a celebration if he didn't feel like celebrating. "Sixteen?" she asked.

He nodded. "Oh, boy. I can get my driver's license."

Piper laughed. Jason had killed so many monsters and saved the world so many times that the idea of him sweating a driving test seemed ridiculous. She pictured him behind the wheel of some old Lincoln with a STUDENT DRIVER sign on top and a grumpy teacher in the passenger seat with an emergency brake pedal.

"Well?" she urged. "Blow out the candles."

Jason did.

Mitchell watched the scene between the two silently. He found it endearing; to see how love was shown, even if it was fake — a man-made, or rather goddess-made relationship.