𝐱. treachery

CALL YOUR MOM

ACT ONE: i'm called
mr forgettable

chapter ten. treachery

MITCHELL AND ANNABETH WANTED TO HATE New Rome, but they just couldn't

MITCHELL AND ANNABETH WANTED TO HATE New Rome, but they just couldn't. Annabeth admired the architecture, while Mitchell admired their training.

"We have the best architects and builders in the world," Reyna said, as if reading Annabeth's thoughts. "Rome always did, in the ancient times. Many demigods stay on to live here after their time in the legion. They go to our university. They settle down to raise families. Percy seemed interested in this fact." She looked at Mitchell for that.

He looked back at her and nodded, masking his slight shock. Did Percy believe that they could go to a university in a roman city?

"You're a warrior, all right," the praetor said. "You've got fire in your eyes."

"Sorry?" Mitchell said, but it came out like a question. He forgot that he naturally looked like he was ready to take on a drakon — he could say that now because he had.

"Don't be. I'm the daughter of Bellona."

"Roman goddess of war?"

Reyna nodded. She turned and whistled like she was hailing a cab. A moment later, two metal dogs raced toward them—automaton greyhounds, one silver and one gold. They brushed against Reyna's legs and regarded Annabeth and Mitchell with glistening ruby eyes.

"My pets," Reyna explained. "Aurum and Argentum. You don't mind if they walk with us?"

Mitchell shook his head. "Fascinating." He murmured. He wondered what it took for him to get a pet like that, but to not have it go berserk and run away this time.

He noted that the greyhounds had teeth like steel arrowheads. Maybe weapons weren't allowed inside the city, but Reyna's pets could still tear both him and Annabeth to pieces if they chose.

Reyna led them to an outdoor café, where the waiter clearly knew her. He smiled and handed her a to-go cup, then offered one to Annabeth.

"Would you like some?" Reyna asked. "They make wonderful hot chocolate. Not really a Roman drink—"

"But chocolate is universal," Annabeth said. "Mitchell'll have a coffee, if that's okay."

"Of course it is."

It was a warm June afternoon, but Annabeth and Mitchell accepted the cup with thanks. The three of them walked on, Reyna's gold and silver dogs roaming nearby.

"In our camp," Reyna said, "Athena is Minerva. Are you familiar with how her Roman form is different?"

Annabeth hadn't really considered it before. She remembered the way Terminus had called Athena that goddess, as if she were scandalous. Octavian had acted like Annabeth's very existence was an insult.