𝐢𝐱. new faces

CALL YOUR MOM

ACT ONE: i'm called
mr forgettable

chapter nine. new faces

PERCY WAS STANDING THERE, CHECKING Mitchell out without even trying to hide it

PERCY WAS STANDING THERE, CHECKING Mitchell out without even trying to hide it. His jaw was dropped slightly, and a smirk was quick to form on his face.

Mitchell felt every single atom in his body tighten for a second, but it all went away when he realised that he wasn't dreaming. After seven months of nothing, Percy Jackson was less than 20 feet away from him.

Mitchell carefully moved his eyes away and to the people on either side of Percy; A tall Chinese boy with chubby cheeks and a bulkers body, and a small black girl who seemed shorter than Leo (which was difficult) but had a confident aura.

The praetor Reyna straightened. With apparent reluctance, she turned toward Jason. "Jason Grace, my former colleague . . ." She spoke the word colleague like it was a dangerous thing. "I welcome you home. And these, your friends—"

Mitchell zoned out after that. He felt the sudden urge to hide his brown eye — like it made him a freak. More than half the Romans visible were staring straight at him, but he kept his composure. He had to stay strong, he was strong. No emotions. No reactions.

He stood there like a soldier ready for battle, marching into his death. Each waking moment felt like that for Mitchell, where one day, he'd make one mistake and he'd be meeting his brother in Elysium. That was the plan, anyway.

"And this is Mitchell . . ." Jason clapped Mitchell on the shoulders. "How do you say your last name?"

Mitchell cleared his throat. "Αγελαστος."

It was one word, but he could've sworn he saw at least four Romans pass out. Mitchell looked at Percy, only to see him checking him out again.

"Right," Jason smiled. "Mitchell Αγελαστος. Great warrior, not a very nice guy, but he's a really good fighter!"

Mitchell turned to Jason and gave him a look that said, 'shut up.'

Jason did.

Reyna's eyes sparkled. "You sure you're not a Roman, Mitchell?"

Mitchell remained unfazed. "Hm, I'm sure my last name says enough." He couldn't help but feel like he knew Reyna. He searched his memory archive, and in seconds, he knew where.

Circe's Island. Right after he accidentally freed all of Circe's guinea pigs instead of just Percy, and he locked eyes with her just as he was boarding the boat. He didn't mention this, of course.

Mitchell held his hand out, calloused, rough and bruised, but his.

Reyna clasped it firmly. "It seems we have a lot to discuss. Centurions!"