part 16

"Well, I can show my face in public again! If someone had told me that in just a few short weeks, Hiccup would go from being, well... Hiccup, to placing first in Dragon Training... Well, I would've tied him to a mast and shipped him off for fear he'd gone mad. Yes! And you know it! But here we are. And no one's more surprised...or more proud than I am. Today, my boy becomes a Viking. TODAY, HE BECOMES ONE OF US!" Stoick's booming voice echoed over the arena. Ludic stood beside the chief, his dark blue eyes following every move Hiccup and Astrid made.

Hiccup entered the arena, selecting a dagger from the weapons stand. "Hrmph. I would've gone for the hammer," Stoick commented to Ludic.

"He can barely lift a sword, let alone a hammer," Ludic replied, frowning. Stoick nodded in agreement.

"I'm ready," Hiccup declared. The gate creaked open, releasing the Monstrous Nightmare into the arena. Hiccup approached the dragon slowly, raising his hand like he had done with Toothless. Ludic's breath caught in his throat, watching Hiccup intently.

"What is he doing?" Stoick muttered, growing more annoyed by the second.

"It's okay. It's okay," Hiccup said softly, throwing his helmet to the ground. "I'm not one of them."

"Stop the fight," Stoick ordered, standing up.

"No! I need you all to see this. They're not what we think they are. We don't have to kill them," Hiccup pleaded, but Stoick's anger flared.

"I SAID STOP THE FIGHT!" Stoick bellowed, slamming his hammer against the arena railings. The sound agitated the Nightmare, which lunged at Hiccup.

"Hiccup! HICCUP!" Astrid shouted as she rushed into the ring. The Monstrous Nightmare continued its assault, and Ludic, feeling helpless, did the only thing he could think of: he jumped in to help. He leaped off the side of the ring, falling around 13 feet and rolling to his feet. Grabbing a mace, he hurled it at the Nightmare.

Astrid managed to escape the dragon's path and grabbed Ludic, pulling him away despite his attempts to help Hiccup, who was now pinned under the Nightmare's claws. Suddenly, a resonating blast rang out, and the arena filled with smoke. Toothless leaped into the arena, confronting the Nightmare. Ludic froze, his eyes widening in realization.

"Shit," Ludic muttered.

"Alright, Toothless, go. Get out of here!" Hiccup shouted.

"Night Fury!" Vikings yelled, panic spreading through the crowd.

"Go! GO!" Hiccup pleaded with Toothless, his big green eyes begging the dragon to flee.

"Take it alive!" another Viking shouted.

"No, Dad, he won't hurt you!" Hiccup yelled at his father, who was making his way toward the dragons. As more ropes where put over the night fury hiccup begged "No, don't! You're only making it worse! Toothless, STOP!" desperation in his voice.

"No! NOOOOO!" Hiccup begged, tears streaming down his face. "No! Please, jus-- just don't hurt him! Please don't hurt him." He watched in horror as Toothless was covered in ropes, just like the day in the forest.

"Put it with the others!" one of the Vikings commanded.

As Toothless was dragged away, Hiccup's heart sank. He had tried to show them the truth, but now everything was falling apart. Ludic, standing nearby, felt a mix of helplessness and anger. He glanced at Hiccup, who was now standing in the arena, shoulders slumped, and eyes filled with tears.

"I should have known. I should have seen the signs," Stoick growled, his grip firm on Hiccup's arm as he dragged his son towards the Great Hall.

"Dad—" Hiccup began, but his father cut him off.