part 20

A few days later, Hiccup lay peacefully asleep in his bed until Toothless nudged him awake.

"Oh, hey, Toothless. I'm happy to see you too, buddy," Hiccup greeted, but winced when Toothless accidentally stepped on him. "OW! What-- Uh, I'm in my house. You're in my house! Uh... does my dad know you're in here?" Hiccup said, sounding worried. "Okay, okay-- no, Toothless! Aw, come on..." he continued as Toothless started licking him all over.

Suddenly, something wasn't right. Hiccup lifted up his blanket, and all at once, it petrified and overwhelmed him. Toothless jumped down to the floor, sensing Hiccup's hesitation. Hiccup tentatively placed his wooly boot on the bare wooden floor, followed by his mechanical replacement made of wood and metal. Toothless sniffed the prosthetic and looked at Hiccup with concern. Taking a deep breath, Hiccup tried to walk with the prosthetic, feeling the pain. He stumbled, but Toothless swiftly caught him.

"Okay... okay... Thanks, bud," Hiccup said gratefully as he steadied himself and walked downstairs. Opening the door, he saw a Monstrous Nightmare roaring outside, triggering flashbacks of dragon attacks. He quickly slammed the door shut.

"Toothless, stay here," Hiccup instructed the dragon, then cautiously reopened the door, only to find the dragon now had a rider. "Come on, guys, get ready! Hold on tight! Here we go!" Snotlout's voice echoed.

"I knew it. I'm dead," Hiccup muttered to himself, but soon felt a comforting hand on his shoulder as he ventured further outside. "No, but you gave it your best shot. So? What do you think?" Stoick said, pointing to the village where dragons and Vikings now lived in harmony.

"Hey, look! It's Hiccup!" a Viking exclaimed.

"Hiccup, how you doin' mate?" another asked.

"It's great to see you up and about," another chimed in.

"Turns out all we needed was a little more of... this," Stoick remarked proudly, gesturing towards Hiccup.

"You just gestured to all of me," Hiccup chuckled.

"Well, most of you," Gobber added, gesturing to his metal leg. "That bit's my handiwork. With a little 'Hiccup Flair' thrown in. You think it'll do?" Gobber asked, to which Hiccup responded with a shrug.

"I might make a few tweaks," Hiccup said, his familiar laughter filling the air, before he was playfully punched.

"That's for scaring us," Astrid teased.

"What, is it always going to be this way? Cause..." Hiccup started, but Astrid cut him off by pushing him into the chest of a taller Viking. The taller male wrapped his arms around Hiccup's waist pulled him close and kissed him deeply, leaving Hiccup momentarily stunned. But the younger Viking still leaned into the kiss. Many Vikings wolf whistles and cheered.

"...I could get used to it," Hiccup managed to say as he pulled away from Ludic's lips, his face in a daze. Ludic smirked at him fondly. "That's for being you," Ludic added, kissing Hiccup's forehead gently.

"Welcome home," Gober greeted warmly.

Just then, a cry erupted from a Viking. "Night Fury! Get down!"

"You ready?" Hiccup asked Ludic, noticing Frostbite sitting nearby, observing small flowers. Ludic nodded and walked over to the Ice Dragon, mounting up.

"This... is Berk," Hiccup began, a sense of contentment and hope filling his voice. "It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three. Any food that grows here is tough and tasteless. The people that grow here are even more so. The only upsides are the pets. While other places have ponies or parrots, we have... dragons!"