5.

TWO days later back in Winchester, Bemia was brightly smiling, standing between Sihtric and Finan as they watched Thyra marry Beocca with Clapa, Hild, Gisela, and Aethelwold standing around the small chapel.

Uhtred placed Beocca's hand over Thyra's, wrapping a green rope over their hands as he said, "I am a witness: you are together, never to part, bound as man and his wife."

"And a prayer?" Beocca asked.

Uhtred quietly chuckled. "I don't know any prayers," he confessed and Bemia softly laughed with the others at Beocca's dumbfounded face.

"I will say a prayer," Hild announced with a warm smile.

"Hild. Please," Beocca breathed as Uhtred took a step back.

Hild took his place, grabbing their joined hands. "Let us pray, that God and all His Saints and all His angels in heaven, smile and bless you. Let us pray that this union of Dane and Saxon can show that this is a land for all people."

"Under one God," Beocca added.

"Under one God, of course." Hild smiled, removing the ropes that joined their hands. "Amen."

Thyra and Beocca repeated their amen's before embracing each other while Hild and Bemia clapped with bright smiles. Bemia was over the moon for her older sister who deserved this happiness and peace after the last few years of hell.

"Now it's your turn, sister," Uhtred mused, walking toward Bemia.

"Don't get your hopes up," Bemia laughed, shoving his shoulder. "Not many men want a wife that can't bear children," she added in a quieter tone.

Uhtred's smile flattered at that, and he sighed, grabbing her shoulder. "There will be someone waiting for you, Bemmi. I'm sure of it." His eyes glanced at Sihtric for a second.

And the young man didn't notice the look as his eyes were already stuck on Bemia, so soft and full of care.

Bemia cleared her throat, looking away from her brother and the pity in his eyes as she smoothed out the skirts of her green dress. But her eyes caught the sight of Aethelwold sighing deeply as he walked away.

"When are you going to tell him what Bemia and Sihtric saw, that the ghost is a lie?" Finan asked Uhtred, watching the door close behind Aethelwold.

"If I tell him, he'll talk and Sigefrid will hear," Uhtred explained. "They must believe that we believe."

Bemia shook her head at them both, grabbing their arms. "No more talk of battle plans and all those manly things," she muttered, pulling them toward the door and sending Sihtric a look that had him following. "I wish to be on time for the wedding."

IN the hall of the palace, Bemia stood beside Uhtred with Aethelwold at her side and Finan at her back with Sihtric. The wedding ceremony was to be starting soon and guards lined both sides of the path leading to the alter where Lord Turd was already waiting for his wife-to-be. And many guests in rich clothing stood behind, all patiently waiting.

"I do enjoy another wedding," Aethelwold started and Bemia groaned, thinning her lips. "A royal wedding in particular, it is a tonic for the soul. The excitement, the expense—"

"Aethelwold," Uhtred firmly cut him off, "I'm still undecided, so do not mention talking corpses."

"Who put him beside me?" Bemia grumbled, shooting her brother an annoyed look.

"Nobles have traveled 'cross the sea, from as far as Frankia, solely to see the beautiful Aethelflaed marry this, pretty, bread-pudding of a boy."

"A fair description," Finan mused.