59.

THE next day, Bemia was seated at a table in an alehouse with the others, everyone silent. Young Uhtred had left back to Wessex without telling his father or aunty, who were both worried about him and Uhtred had decided that they'll be leaving back to Coccham, considering Lady Aethelflaed could not be with him now that she was Queen.

"Well, this wasn't the outcome I expected," Bemia mumbled, swirling around the ale in her cup as Osferth and Espen hummed their agreement, seated across from her.

Sihtric exhaled deeply from beside her, flicking a coin onto the table while Stiorra leaned her head on her aunties' shoulder and Finan shook his head that was in his hands.

Uhtred thinned his lips, looking from her to the others. "I know you think we lost out on wealth and power," he started with a shallow nod. "But we have something greater than that."

Finan dragged his hands down his face, sending him a look. "Please do not say our friendship."

All of them collectively chuckled.

Uhtred sighed with a small smile. "We need more ale."

"More ale it is, then," Finan drawled, standing up.

"And perhaps some food," Bemia muttered, picking up the empty bowl of bread before standing up and moving Katja into Sihtric's lap. "Gods know Osferth will need it."

"I threw up once!" Osferth grumbled, sending her a playful glare.

Espen laughed, patting his back. "You threw up four times. Once on my boots."

While they laughed at that, Bemia and Finan made their way toward the bar where the woman behind it raised a brow at their empty jug and bowl.

"Royal advisors?" the woman taunted with a knowing look.

Bemia rolled her eyes, carelessly placing the bowl down with Finan slammed the jug down with an annoyed look.

"Another jug of your strongest ale," Finan ordered. "And a bowl of bread."

The woman snorted, taking the jug and bowl before turning her back to them.

But then a coin was placed down beside Bemia, and she raised a brow, turning to see Eadith. Now that brought her smile back.

"I will pay for your ale and bread," Eadith offered, tilting her head at Bemia. "And when you leave Aegelesburg, you might allow me to travel with you, for safe passage."

Bemia looked over her shoulder at Finan who turned back to the woman. "Then make it two."

"I thought you would stay," Bemia hummed, facing back to Eadith with a small smile. "What happened?"

Eadith sighed, running a hand over her hair. "Aethelflaed would rather I don't help with Aelfwynn after what my brother has done," she dreadfully admitted. "But with that said, I ask if you wish for me to care for Katja whenever you please."

Surprise filled Bemia's eyes at that. "You wish to be Katja's nanny?"

Finan took the two jugs of ale, leaning into Bemia's back. "It'll give Stiorra a break, sister," he quietly advised her.

Bemia trusted Eadith after their journey, but she knew how challenging her daughter could be with new people—and she wouldn't be surprised if that scared Eadith off.

"I will pay you well," Bemia started, linking her arm with Eadith's while taking the bowl of bread. "But be warned, she can have a temper at times."

"Much like her mother, I suppose?" Eadith teased, making the three of them laugh as they made their way back toward the others.