64.

GREY smoke filled the air, a pungent smell threatening to choke everyone out as guards lined up with shields, protecting archers that fired arrows at Danes on the ramparts.

Bemia was covered in dirt and dust, sweat dripping down every inch of her body while she fired arrows, often spotting her husband, brother, son, nephew, and Ebbe charge forward, dragging burning sacks of shit before throwing them toward the walls.

"Fire!" Bemia roared, letting another wave of arrows fly true to the ramparts, taking down Danes that found their fate.

Fire erupted in front of the gate, burning alive any guards that were standing under the burning tar. Screams echoed like a haunting song while arrows whispered, flying past. All Bemia could do was try her hardest to kill while not getting killed.

"Bemia!" Sihtric shouted, running up to his wife while keeping his shield above his head. "We're getting ready to charge the gate!"

Bemia fired one last arrow, satisfied that it landed in a Danes throat before she dropped her bow and quiver, whirling around to her husband. "We get Espen and Stiorra!"

"That is our plan!" Sihtric covered her with his shield as the pair darted through the men, making their way toward the others who had their shields up, ready to ram the gate.

Finan and Ebbe caught sight of them, opening their shields to allow the both of them to hurry into position beside them.

"Charge!"

Bemia held Sihtric's arm, charging forward toward the gates with a war cry like every other guard around them. Arrows struck into shields, a few even hitting men and shooting them down. And when the log rammed into the gate, it didn't budge.

"Quickly!" Finan bellowed, pushing back with rocks falling on top of shields. "Get back!" They all listened and Bemia felt her heart race faster as she unsheathed an axe. "One formation!"

"Ready?" Bemia roared, holding the back of Ebbe's vest. "Forward!"

Everyone listened to her command, charging forward again. And once again, the gate didn't open.

"Pull back!" Ebbe barked and they listened. "Protect your men! Keep tight!"

Arrows continued to shoot down on them, penetrating shields while rocks bounced off.

"Charge forward!" Edward ordered and they all listened.

But this time when they rammed the gate, it flew open. Bemia unsheathed her second axe, letting go of Ebbe and engaging in combat without a shield. A Dane rushed at her, and she slashed her axe down, landing it in his shoulder before she twirled, slicing a different Dane in the throat.

Beside her, Sihtric was fighting off a Dane, sending his shield into a head while on her other side, Ebbe was laughing like a madman, cutting down anyone in the path of his sword.

Bemia ducked down, narrowly avoiding an axe to the head before she kicked in the Dane's kneecap and then connected her forehead with his when he bent down. She charged forward, using one axe as a shield against blades while using the other to cleave through arms and heads, leaving a trail of dead bodies in her path.

This went on for what felt like hours. Slashing. Stabbing. Grunting. Yelling. And then she lost an axe, having to use her fist every now and then, beating Danes to death. Her body ached with her head throbbing after countless headbutts. But she was always protected with Sihtric and Ebbe on either side of her.

That was until a cry of pain filled Bemia's ears and she glanced over her shoulder, horror twisting her gut at the three arrows in his back.

"Ebbe!" Bemia screamed, her throat being torn apart while she felt the world around her slow down, watching her dearest friend drop to his knees, staring down at the arrows through his chest. "No!"