33.

THE sun was high above the boat as it docked into a quiet Coccham, and in that boat sat Bemia, head over the side as she emptied her stomach. Beside her, Sihtric was worriedly rubbing her back while Osferth was on her other side, trying his hardest not to throw up.

"I don't understand," Bemia groaned, her head hanging low as she felt her stomach churn. "I was fine all night until I woke up."

"Perhaps it was something you ate?" Osferth suggested, shrugging his shoulders when she lifted her head, sending him an annoyed look.

Sihtric snorted, pushing Bemia's hair away from her sweaty face. "Let's just get you inside to eat," he gently said, taking her hands off the edge of the boat and into his own. With help from Osferth, Bemia stood back up on her feet, only for her husband to scoop her into his arms.

Out of instinct, she wrapped her arms around the back of his neck while he chuckled, walking to the edge of the boat. "If you drop me, then I swear I'll push you in the water."

"I would never drop you," he assured her, stopping at the side of the boat where Finan was waiting with his arms open. "But he might" he quickly added, passing her to Finan just as she let go of him.

"You know what?" She crossed her arms over her chest as Finan laughed, looking down at her. "I think I would rather walk than be passed around like a damn bowl of bread."

"At least the bread doesn't talk," Finan snickered, putting her down on her feet.

"Or swats you," Sithric added, getting out of the boat and fixing his cloak around her shoulders as she silently hoped that her stomach would start to settle.

"You both whine like children," she muttered, walking toward Uhtred and Skade, unknowingly pressing a hand to her stomach. "Can we kill the witch now?"

Uhtred sighed, looking over at his sister who was walking toward him with Finan, Sihtric, and Osferth close behind. "I would rather we deal with this problem first, Bemia."

"Is the idea we walk into Coccham like we've never been away?" Finan asked as Uhtred led the way toward the gates.

"Yes," Uhtred simply answered.

"Directly to the hall?" Bemia asked, wiping sweat off her face as she hurried her pace to her brother's side.

"Yes."

Finan raised a brow, jogging up to his other side. "And if another Lord resides there?"

"We ask him to leave, my friend."

"I can do that," Finan hummed and then glanced over his shoulder at Skade behind them. "Are we to expect a weddin', Lord?" Uhtred and Bemia both snapped their heads toward him at that. "We did not risk our lives for you to hump the bitch. Or do you plan to kill her with your cock?"

"I'm going to take your advice and stay out of this one," Bemia muttered, shaking her head.

At the gates, a man stood with a look of worry on his face. "Lord, you will not remember me," he quietly said.

"I remember you," Uhtred assured him as the man followed by Bemia's side. "You're Edwin. You're married to Mildwynn."

"Lord, they have taken more than half our winter's store. Animals and grain." Bemia furrowed her brows, passing the gates and looking around at the King's guards who were stacking barrels into carts. "They say it is to feed Alfred's army, but we will certainly starve."

Bemia tore her eyes away from the guards, clenching her hands into fists. "Who did this?"

The man looked at her as he stopped in place. "They're at the hall, Lady. King Alfred would not have ordered this!"