17.

MEN, women, and children gathered in the streets of Winchester, clapping their hands proudly while cheering as the victorious army made their way through, atop their horses.

Bemia was sending around warm smiles, often waving at the children who looked up at her. But slowly, her smile wiped off her face when she noticed Hild standing near the church, nervously fidgeting with her hands and eyes full of pain.

Anxiety filled her whole body, taking the air from her lungs as her horse came to a stop behind Uhtred. And the feeling only grew when he looked over his shoulder at her, noticing Hild.

Uhtred dismounted his horse and Bemia quickly faced Finan behind her, throwing him the rope attached to Skade without warning. He furrowed his brows at her. "Keep an eye on her," was all Bemia before she swiftly dismounted, throwing the reigns of Floki to Sihtric beside her.

"What is it?" Sihtric questioned, his lips pulled into a tight line at her behavior. "Are you okay?"

But Bemia didn't answer him, instead, she picked up the bottom of her skirts and jogged through the mud, avoiding children and women as she rushed toward her brother who was stiff as stone, listening to Hild.

When she made it up the few steps, her eyes drifted to behind Hild, to the midwife holding a small baby in her arms, wrapped in a blue blanket.

"She's gone," Hild breathed and Bemia froze at her brother's back, eyes painfully moving to Hild's devastated face.

Something in her heart cracked, dropping to her feet where it splattered. The thoughts in her head went silent, not daring to utter a word other than: Gisela.

Uhtred's wife. Bemia's closest friend.

She was gone.

Tears lined Bemia's eyes, her hands starting to shake with grief as she forced herself to grab onto the cold stone wall beside her to keep her standing.

Gisela was gone.

Hild pulled Uhtred into a hug that he did not return, his face twisted into disbelief. "She has given you a son," she trembled. "But she's gone."

Bemia felt it then at that confirmation. She felt the sob before it left her lips and she pressed a hand to silence herself. Warmth greeted her cheeks, salt sliding into her mouth.

The second Hild pulled away from Uhtred, his arms were tightly wrapped around his sister, holding her up as much as she held him up, his sniffles and her quiet sobs surrounding them.

"I'm so sorry, brother," her voice came out strained and shakily. She squeezed her eyes shut, a hand holding the back of his head as she grabbed the back of his cloak tighter, feeling him fall apart in her arms. "I'm so sorry."

When his hand slowly moved from the top of her hair to her back, she opened her eyes, instantly locking them with her husband's as he dismounted his horse, concern on his face.

"I must go to her," Uhtred announced, abruptly pulling away from his sister and her heart broke at the tears covering his cheeks as she took a step back.

"Uhtred, no!" Hild quickly said, grabbing his arms.

"No, I must go to her!" Uhtred pulled his arms away from her, already walking past.

But Hild grabbed his arms again, forcing him to stop. "Uhtred, she is gone! She's in the ground. It was days ago. She's gone."

Uhtred looked around at them, his eyes staying on his son before he faced his silently crying sister. "Take my boy. Take my boy and care for him," he begged and then he was walking away, not waiting for an answer.