75.

BACK in Rumcofa, Katja rolled her eyes again, slapping Cynlaef on the arm. "It was not a sight to see."

"You bit a man's ear off!" Cynlaef laughed, shaking his head. "That is most definitely a sight to see, Kat!"

"No, she's right," Aethelstan mused, nudging his elbow into Katja's side while she quietly laughed. "Her jumping on the man's back was a sight to see!"

The two boys howled in laughter again, leaning on each other while Katja swore at them both, holding back her own fit of laughter at their mocking.

"Aethelstan forgot to finish the story and tell you that I was the one who saved his arse," Katja muttered, raising a brow.

Cynlaef stopped laughing, his lips parting in surprise as he faced Aethelstan who sent Katja a thin smile. "She saved your arse, again?" he asked before laughing again, that time with Katja joining him. The pair laughed harder, nearly tripping over each other when Aethelstan's cheeks faintly turned red.

"Cynlaef!" a voice called out and the three of them quickly straightened, looking up at the start of the dock to see Father Benedict waving Cynlaef over.

Katja gave the young man a small push forward. "God calls for you," she snickered. "Say your prayers, Dane boy."

"Yeah, and Aethelstan calls for you when he needs his arse saved," Cynlaef threw over his shoulder, making Katja laugh again while slowly following him with Aethelstan who threw an arm over her shoulders.

"I have been asked to convey a message of great seriousness and secrecy," Father Benedict explained when Cynlaef stopped before him with the pair at his back. "The Lady Aelswith has noted your affection for her granddaughter and asks that you convey yourself to Buccstan for Sunday." Katja's eyes widened as the three of them shared a look. "There you will meet with Lady Aelfwynn and marry her."

"Holy shit," Katja whispered, and Father Benedict sent her an alarmed look, making her fake a cough. "Sorry, it's the...fish?"

"Just stop talking," Aethelstan snorted, having to look away from her to stop laughing.

"Why have I been selected for this alliance?" Cynlaef questioned.

Father Benedict looked between the three of them and Aethelstan sighed, patting Cynlaef on the back. "Because you're a nobody. If Aelfwynn marries you, no eldorman can force her hand."

A small smirk formed on Cynlaef's lips. "Then I will be honored to preserve the safety of the princess."

Father Benedict sent him a warm smile before departing and Katja wasted no time pulling her friend into a tight hug.

"Baby Cynlaef is getting married!" she quietly cheered with a laugh, pulling him away before patting the side of his face. "That poor girl."

"Hey!" Cynlaef laughed, messing up her hair while she shrieked, swatting his hand away.

"This calls for an ale," Aethelstan hummed, briefly hugging Cynlaef before grabbing Katja's hand. "And lots of it."

"As long as my mother and father don't find out then it's fine with me." Katja smiled brightly, walking between the two of them, toward the alehouse.

On the docks, Bemia smiled faintly, watching her daughter laughing with the two boys while walking away.

"She truly is happy here," Sihtric quietly said, handing Osferth a sack of food while standing beside her.

Bemia turned away from the trio, facing back to the boat and handing pelts to one of the men that was beside Osferth. "Perhaps this is where my sons should grow up—here with my family and their older sister."