60.

IN Winchester, Espen kept Stiorra and Aethelstan close to him as they made their way into a hall of the palace, behind Aelswith and an older man. The hall was nothing like Espen had seen before due to him having never been in a Christian palace before, so his eyes often roamed around at the different paintings.

That was until his eyes landed on a Dane woman with her brown hair braided back and a swollen stomach on display. Then, his eyes moved to a young man with long, shaggy hair, and a familiar scar on his face.

At the sight of Espen, Sigtryggr slowly stood up, a look of disbelief in his eyes. "My brother."

Espen's lips curved into a small smile. "And here I thought you had died!" he laughed, the pair walking toward each other. "I grieved your death when I was told you had died. I didn't believe it when the men said it!"

Sigtryggr chuckled as they embraced each other. "Imagine my shock when I returned home to find you gone, searching for your mother and father," he stated, and they pulled away from each other. "Did you ever find them?"

Pride shone in Espen's eyes as he nodded. "My father is Ebbe Sigurdson, now King of Norway," he informed him and Sigtryggr raised a brow. "And my mother..." His eyes drifted over to Brida. "My mother is Bemia Ragnarsdottir, the Red Wolf."

Brida tilted her head, studying him for a long moment. "I suppose you do look an awful lot like your bitch of a mother."

Espen exhaled sharply, rage burning in his eyes. "Is that the only insult you can come up with?" he challenged with a dry laugh. "She was right when she said you were thick-headed. Perhaps Cnut's child is growing with his stupidity, seeping into your blood."

"Don't!" Sigtryggr warned Brida who had stood up, unsheathing her axe. "You will not harm my brother, Brida."

Brida was shaking from anger as she sat down, watching Espen's smirk turn smug at her listening to orders like a dog.

"Well," Sigtryggr started, facing back to Espen, "I didn't expect for us to meet again like this," he admitted, walking back toward his seat. "Tell me, brother, how have you ended up with them?" He waved a hand to the others while sitting down.

"I was traveling with my mother's husband when Haesten and his men ambushed us," Espen started to explain, clasping his hands behind his back. "Before departing from my mother and sister to journey with Sihtric, I promised her I would guard Lady Aelswith for her," he easily lied, concealing his cousin's identity. "And when Haesten mentioned you, I had to come to see it for myself that you were truly alive."

Sigtryggr nodded, taking in his lies that were easily believed.

"Lady Aelswith," Brida cut in. "I'm so happy to see your family reunited."

"I want to speak with whoever leads you," Lady Aelswith demanded, walking two steps past Espen.

"I lead here," Brida flatly answered.

"I mean, the man in charge of this," Lady Aelswith restated.

Brida stood up and then walked up to the table before leaning forward and spitting in Lady Aelswith's face. Espen carefully grabbed her wrist, pulling her back to his side. He may have lied about protecting Lady Aelswith, but he sure as hell wasn't going to watch her be harmed in any way.

"Do not insult me," Brida fumed.

"I am not the one using insults," Lady Aelswith countered. "But I am giving you a warning. This incursion will not be tolerated. My son will burn us all to the ground before he concedes one square to Wessex land. You are a pack of fools...unknowingly, you have trapped yourselves within these walls. For once, the heathen are all in one place." She pulled her arm out of Espen's grip, walking toward Brida. "And when the fire comes, as come it shall...we will watch your souls burn as we ascend!"