|35|bridge

Tell me if you find any mistakes, I haven't proof read.

Happy Reading!!

NIDHI

"I... I thought you were asleep," I said as he looked at me. His gaze reminded me of the previous night. All day, I had been thinking about how he kissed my forehead. It felt like I would melt and fall at his feet.

"Don't remove it," I said, as he picked up the cloth in his hand.

"You still have a fever," I added, adjusting on his forehead again.

"I'll be fine. Please, get some sleep," he murmured, his words piercing my heart. It's not that I can't take care of him when he's burning with fever.

At this moment, I wanted to ask him why he questioned whether I loved someone else. I knew our marriage had its shortcomings, but it also had its strengths.

For instance, I respect him deeply, and I am loyal to him. If I were to entertain any man, it would be him and no one else. I had never given him any indication that I had someone else in mind. In reality, if it's not him, then there is no one else.

"Why did you ask if I love someone else?" I finally inquired. The words felt foreign on my tongue, but my desire for his trust surpassed all else.

"I don't recall asking such a thing," he murmured, attempting to turn away. I swiftly pressed his shoulder, keeping him facing me.

"But, I distinctly remember you asking me that," I replied, turning the damp cloth, noticing the other side had become warm. Our eyes locked, neither of us willing to break the gaze. I wasn't about to back down.

"Tell me," I insisted again. It was past midnight, and I was resolute in clearing the air that had begun to suffocate me.

"Because you make me a mess," he said, rising to sit directly in front of me. The intensity of his gaze made me lower my head, feeling as though I might burn from its heat.

Ironically, I found myself yearning for that burn.

He immediately held my cheek, making me look at him again.

"Maintain that confidence you were showing when you were asking this question," he demanded, his palm squishing my cheeks. I was lost; he was saying all sorts of things, while my mind focused solely on his touch, the warmth emanating from him. I just wanted to hug him right then.

"Here you are, waking up past midnight to take care of me. And all week, you didn't bother to talk to me," he complained. Now, I just wanted to push him away.

"Did you want me to come and talk to you even though you were the first one to shout at me? You could have talked to me about it when you were in the room, but you chose to shout at me in the dining area," I retorted.

"Because you asked me if everything was alright when it clearly wasn't," he replied.

"Inquiring whether everything was all right, while I was already seething with anger was the most ill-timed question you could have posed," he retorted with biting sarcasm.

Had someone suggested that this ordinarily serene man was capable of such intense altercations, I would have dismissed the notion outright.

"So, that justifies shouting at me in front of everyone?" I countered. He fell silent, his gaze fixed on me. I looked away briefly, then met his eyes once more. I had never engaged in such a confrontation before, but then, I had never been married either.

"Just let me sleep," he grumbled, his irritation palpable.

"No, you've put me through the wringer all week. Last night, you accused me of not caring," I shot back.