Chapter 6

I woke up first. I looked around the cave, and saw Sonic sleeping. I smiled and got up. "New day," I sighed. "Hopefully we can get home. Shadow will have my head if he sees me hanging out with a demon. Or Tails. Maybe both."

"Will you stop talking?" The sound of a half-asleep azure hedgehog just waking up crossed my ears. "You're not slick. You're so loud. How do the heroes even deal with you in the mornings..?" asked Sonic as he rubbed his eyes, standing up.

"Sorry for waking you up. I feel a bit better, what about you?" I asked. "Same. We might actually be able to spend all day and night walking through these freaking mazes." assumed Sonic, coming up beside me.

"Yeah." I agreed. "Anyway, let's get marching. Hut, one two three four," I joked in a sing-songy voice. "Knuckles is a knucklehead," added Sonic in the same tone, walking ahead. "Knuckles is a— wait, what?" I asked as Sonic snorted in amusement.

We stayed that way for a couple of hours. We were silent, though. We mainly had our focus on the path ahead instead of each other, which for some reason really unsettled me as I processed everything that happened yesterday.

Sonic is a nice demon. Bullied nonstop for what he believes in, which is totally unfair. He was crying and frightened when I found him because of that same reason. I never thought that demons' lives were so...so... harsh.

Who knew that they were living, thinking beings? I certainly didn't, and I'm sure neither did the others. We always thought they were undead, with no emotions other than pure hatred and malice towards us and innocents.

But no, they were a living species. If anything, they think the same thing about us. But they are cruel, dividing themselves into the strong and weak, with Sonic SOMEHOW being one of the weak. I don't know why, because those kicks hurt!

We had explored the cave thoroughly, with no way out. Or so I thought. Sonic suddenly stopped and I stopped as well. I looked at him in confusion. "What is it?" I asked. Sonic looked at me and jerked his head to the left, and when I looked I was relieved.

Light seeped through the cracks, and we both knew we'd gotten close to the surface. Me and Sonic both dug our way out and we finally surfaced.  "Finally! Out! No offense Knux, but we've been together for way too long and I need a break from your face."

"None taken," I replied. "I feel the exact same." We had emerged from the cave at the exact place where we met. The hole hadn't been covered up yet though and was still there.

Me and Sonic glanced at each other. He collapsed onto the grass and sighed of relief. "I don't think I'm going to be fighting for a while..." he sighed. "Yeah, agreed," I agreed. We stayed silent for a while before I heard a familiar voice.

"Guys, I think I hear Knuckles!"

"He's over here!"

It was the others. Sonic immediately bolted before they spotted him. I looked at him until he was out of sight, and Tails hugged me in relief. "Knuckles! You're okay! We were so worried!" said Tails. "Hey, I'm okay Tails." I responded as I hugged back.

"Oh thank Chaos," sighed Shadow. "We were so worried when you didn't come back the next day, so we decided to look for you. We spent a week looking for you and here we are now." I was confused. "A week? I was gone for a week?" I repeated.

They nodded. How long were me and Sonic knocked out for? "A week. We thought the demons kidnapped you." revealed Amy. Well, that's kind of how it went. I wanted to say, but I chose not to tell them the fact that Sonic was with me.

"Sorry for worrying you all," I scratched the back of my neck in embarrassment. "I just fell down that hole, and later found a way to escape." I lied. "You worried a lot of people Knux... anyway, want to get back to base? You're all beaten up."

"And dirty." added Amy. I nodded. "Yeah..." I agreed. They turned away and walked off. I was about to follow them, but I looked back at where I first saw Sonic. Oh, no, I'm not going to be able to get him off my mind, am I?