Chapter 20

I was resting on top of one of the windows of the Demon lair. Infinite says the Heroes would one day come to the lair and try to rescue me once more, only to find out we're ready for them. I was to be the lookout, or as Eclipse put it the diversion.

They expected for the Heroes to show up altogether. However, the Heroes had other plans as only Knuckles showed up in front of the lair. Alone. No backup, no Heroes, no way out. I thought he was crazy to show up alone, but more for me I guess.

This should be a piece of cake.

"Sonic!" shouted Knuckles. "Come down here! Please! We need to talk." I raised my eyebrow but didn't argue as I leapt down to see what he wanted. If there was one thing Infinite and Tails could ever agree on, it was to think first and act later.

Infinite suddenly unmuted me, allowing me to speak freely. "What?" I asked. "What is there to talk about?" Knuckles sighed, crossing his arms. He seemed happy that I didn't attack him like a madman, or in our case mad Mobian.

"I was thinking. About what I saw. What you were going through while trapped in your mind," Knuckles revealed, and I grimaced. Of course he would come to talk about that. "Do you really think that? That I don't love you?"

I hissed, turning away from him. "Love? Is that what you Hero scum fight for? Yeah, hate to break it to you but love is meaningless, everyone will die anyways so what's the point." I questioned, crossing my arms.

"You don't believe that," I turned towards him with a raised eyebrow. "You never believed that. Even before you joined us, you didn't. You never liked killing. You've never taken a life yourself. And this is only one of the reasons why I love you."

This made me perk up, but then I turned away with a scoff. "Why do you love me? You're Knuckles, strongest member of the Heroes. I'm the weakest demon in history, Infinite's lackey. It's basically Romeo and Juliet, so why bother?" I hissed, sending him a glare.

"Snap out of it, Sonic...This isn't you. Not you at all." said Knuckles softly. I growled and approached him rapidly. "Sorry to disappoint, echidna, but this...is...me!" I grabbed his neck and punched him in the face, sending him flying out of my grasp and I approached him.

"SONIC, STOP!" He cried desperately. I stopped dead in my tracks as I was inches close to his face. Knuckles sighed, and smiled lovingly at me. I quickly backed away and he walked forward, and we continued in this position until my back was against the wall.

"I love you."

Knuckles kissed me. My eyes went wide, my hands went into a surrendering position, and I quickly broke away into a trembling, defensive position. Knuckles looked disappointed that I did so. One part of me didn't want me to pull away.

"What...was that? What did you do to me?" I spoke sternly after what seemed like a millennia. Knuckles looked hurt. I didn't remember our love. "Please, Sonic. Snap out of this. We love you. I love you. I need you back in my life. Come back to me, please!"

Pain stabbed my body as I screamed, turning away from Knuckles and nearly collapsing. Conflicting...memories...life...faith...belief...harmony... honor... friendship...freedom...love... repeated in my mind as I fell into the background.

~~~~~~

"Please, Sonic. Snap out of this. We love you. I love you. I need you back in my life. Come back to me, please!"

My eyes snapped open as the nightmarish voices started to fade. "You're not real! You're all illusions!" I challenged, stepping up towards them. "My real friends would never turn their backs on me. I'm not turning my back on them!" I said bravely.

"NO. WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO US?!" asked Nightmarish Amy furiously. "Go back to the shadows where you belong." I stated and they all disintegrated. Nightmarish Knuckles charged at me and was about to punch before he disintegrated as well.

Once I finally awoke, I stood up and smiled lovingly at Knuckles. Knuckles smiled back and hugged me. I hugged back and suddenly, Knuckles pulled away with a sharp gasp. "What? What is it?" I asked worriedly.

"Sonic. You're... glowing."