Chapter 23 - THE END

Life after that was paradise.

All demons lost their immortality, and their passion for killing. They now live peacefully alongside the heroes and innocents. There was never a single threat again- sure, arguments may occur and disagreements, but we always worked them out.

All of us decided to start a family- Tails married Cream, Sally married Amy, Shadow married Rouge, Eggman ended up marrying a random maid named Ella, and Silver married Blaze.

Me and Sonic were just about the only ones in our friend group that didn't marry just yet. He was out and about, helping others in need, while I rested in our home Angel Island, guarding the Master Emerald.

We agreed on not marrying anytime soon because we each had different duties. But one day, I went to Sally and Amy's house, being greeted by their kids.

"Hey Uncle Knuckles!" Their daughter Light instantly greeted. "Do you know da way, to my fist?" Their son Wish imitated me when I was younger, pretended to punch Light.

I chuckled and Amy went up to me. "Hey Knuckles! You're a long way from home. Where's Sonic?" She asked. "That's the thing. I want to ask you how to come up with a proposal to Sonic-" I started.

"Say no more!" She interrupted, dragging me to her room. She forced me to sit down, and pulled up a chalkboard. "Okay first thing to do is be yourself; nobody likes a liar, especially Sonic." Amy started off.

"He loves you very much, Knuckles. Of course he'll say yes!" She encouraged. "The problem is where to do it," I sighed. She smiled at me. "Well, then: Bring him to the place where you two met! That's what Sal did for me when she proposed!"

I nodded and was about to leave. "Oh, and one more thing?" Amy asked. I looked at her with a curious hum. She ran off, and came back with a ring with a sapphire gem that sparkled just like Sonic's cobalt blue quills did.

"You'll most definitely need this," she giggled. "Thank you Amy. I-I don't know how to thank you," I brightened up. "You can start by getting your spiny butt out of my house, marching up to Sonic's, dragging him to the place where you met, AND ASK HIM TO MARRY YOU!" Amy reminded.

I chuckled, turned around and left. I went up to Sonic's house and knocked on his door. "Hey Sonic!" I cried. He seemed to open the door in seconds. "Hey, Knux. Fancy seeing you here! How's the Master Emerald?" He greeted.

"It's good. But there's someplace where I want to bring you." I offered. He scoffed. "As long as I'm with you? I'd go anywhere." That instantly brightened me up. Maybe he'll say yes!

"Okay! Come on! Or are you too slow?" I snickered. "You knucklehead! Don't tell me I'm too slow!" Sonic snapped. Then, we laughed. "Let's go," I said once the laughter died down.

I brung him to the place where we met. Sonic's eyes widened once we got there. I smiled and didn't notice Sonic's eyes flicker from demon to mortal but he got it under control by the time I noticed. "It's been so long," Sonic whispered.

"It seems only yesterday you were a demon that I was fighting. Now you've done so much for us I regret fighting you," I sighed as I revisited that regretful memory.

"Dear Chaos, you're a demon!"

I had found a blue hedgehog in the forest, covered in blood and crying. Then when I tried to touch it, it revealed itself to me. This caught me off guard as I gasped. I didn't think it was a demon, I thought it was just a victim of child abuse.

But I was wrong. My hero instincts kicked in and I growled. I got ready to charge at them; but when I did, they were ready. They jumped and stomped on my nose, leapt into the air and landed on a tree branch.

I snarled, and glided up to the tree branch to punch them. They slid to the left to avoid my punch and I got a mouthful of leaves. I could hear them mocking me, which fueled my irritation. They got down from the jump.

I grabbed his neck and cornered them to a tree. They desperately tried to pull my oversized hand away. "Tell me where your master and your lair is!" I demanded.

"Never!"

Sonic shuddered at the memory. "Fake loyalty," he scoffed. "I was such a coward back then. I'm so glad I met you," Sonic smiled at me. I smiled back. "I'm so glad I met you Sonic. You changed my world."

~~~~~

"You made that pretty clear," was my first reply. I remembered that Knuckles saved me from Infinite's torture TWICE. IN ONE YEAR, may I add! "Well, we might as well stay here for a bit. This brings back memories, huh Knux?" I asked.

Knuckles didn't reply. "Knuckles?" I asked. I looked at his spot and gasped. Knuckles was standing on one knee and holding a box with a ring inside. I can only guess what was going to happen. Even demons knew these 'rituals' as we called them.

"Sonic... I love you. More than I've loved anybody else. I love everything about you. Your bravery, your strengths, your agility, but most of all- your sense of justice. I never felt this way with Amy, Rouge, Blaze or any of the other girls. Probably because I needed a guy. It wasn't Eggman, Silver, Shadow, Tails, or any other. It was you I felt this way for. Not so long ago we met at this very pond, and we met as enemies. Now I regret fighting you. I doubt I'd feel this way if I'd rescue any other demon besides you. So I'm asking a question I never asked anyone, a question that I saved for you. Sonic the Hedgehog, will you marry me?"

I knew it was coming. I knew it was coming sooner or later. My eyes were wide, and I couldn't speak. Why did my heart stop so suddenly?

Knuckles was discouraged. "Sorry, I knew I shouldn't have done it at the pond. Stupid Knucklehead! Ugh... we don't have to marry right now if you don't want to..." He said quickly, turning away.

"No, Knuckles!" I suddenly stated and he looked at me. "I... I... I- I... yes. Yes, I will marry you!" I stammered, then agreed. "Really?!" asked Knuckles, shocked. "What part of 'Yes, I will marry you' do you not understand!?" I asked.

Knuckles ran up and kissed me. I gladly returned the favor. After the kissing was over, we sat and watched the sunset. "Hey, Sonic," he spoke. I looked at him with a curious hum. "How do demons marry each other?" Knuckles wondered.

I burst out laughing, much to Knuckles's confusion. "Okay, okay, yes they do marry each other; though it's very different. We called them rituals. Instead of saying will you marry me, they say will you hate me, cause y'know that's how demons are, and no is yes, and yes is no cause they were just like that." I explained.

Knuckles scoffed playfully, "Okay then. So what now?" I looked at him. "Now?" I asked. He nodded. "We enjoy each other's company."

And so hedgehog and echidna, from opposite sides of the long over war, spent the rest of the evening together. They and their friends had a very happy ending.

And to think:

All of this was started when hero met demon.