第四十三章

In the fifth year of Daijiang, the kingdoms of Qiangda and Gongzhuan went to war. The eldest Prince of Qiangda attempted to assassinate the king, being subsequently imprisoned and sending the short-lived peace of the country into chaos. All along the border, fights erupted. The Great General had forcibly overthrown the monarchy and steered Gongzhuan like a broken ship into battle. Their resources were scarce; they didn't have the means to support the war. But the General was persistent, caring neither for the lives of the people nor the lives of the soldiers.

Liu Qingyuan saw how the people's suffering pained his king. He departed for Gongzhuan to resolve the matter between his master and himself once and for all. In this fight, one of them had to die. At present, it had already been half a year; the tender spring blooms were already wilted, giving way to the fresh greens and heat of the summer.

In a camp situated not far from the border, a large squadron of soldiers milled about, preparing for the upcoming battle. The air carried the heavy undercurrent of blood and carnage, tension running thicker than the Huo river at their side. The flap of the largest tent was pushed aside, a face entering, both familiar and unfamiliar. The sorrows of war had changed many; Jiang Zhilan's peach blossom eyes were tired, his lips perpetually pursed, and a permanent frown between his slender brows. Eunuch Shuang immediately rushed forward, helping the king strip off the heavy, stained armour. Jiang Zhilan rolled his shoulder, wincing at the soreness that shot across his muscles.

"Your majesty, a bath has been drawn."

"Mm, got it."

Dressed in a simple, but high-quality set of inner robes, Jiang Zhilan swept his damp hair behind him, leaning over the tactics table, a map of the surrounding terrain spread out on its surface.

"Your majesty," Eunuch Shuang peeked around a partition dividing the space of the tent into several rooms. "The food is getting cold."

"Mm, yes. I'll be out in a bit." Jiang Zhilan replied casually.

"Your majesty..." At his forceful tone, Jiang Zhilan finally looked up. Eunuch Shuang stepped fully into view and bowed. "You've already said that twice, your majesty. This servant begs you to rest. It's not good to overdo it and strain your body." Eunuch Shuang's worry manifested in his actions, wringing his hands fretfully every three breaths. Jiang Zhilan sighed, closing his eyes as he pinched his brow. For a few seconds, there was silence, and in that silence a heavy loneliness swept over him. How good it would be if that person was here. To hold him gently in his warm embrace and tell it was okay. Everything would work out.

"Alright," The king's voice was uncharacteristically soft and he even shot Eunuch Shuang a short smile. "Let's go eat." He swept past him, his head still full of strategies and tactics. Eunuch Shuang trembled, lowering his head. He hadn't seen the king smile in such a long time.

◆◇◆◇◆

"March!"

"Yes sir!" The sound of war drums rattled out over the ground, the thunderous symphony of thousands of marching feeting shaking the very earth they passed. The king's imposing figure, dressing in armour, the red horsetail swaying from his helmet, led the charge, the black war beast under him striding with powerful steps. Qiangda was going to war.

◆◇◆◇◆

Jiang Zhilan woke groggily, his whole body filled with soreness. The ground beneath him was hard, his shoulder blade digging awkwardly into the rocking surface. "Mnh!" A piece of soaked cloth was stuffed into his mouth, forcing his tongue in an uncomfortable position, while another piece was wrapped around his eyes. With his hands bound behind him, he couldn't move, the musk of the wooden floorboards permeating into his nostrils.