♡ 19 | Birthday Special

"Vermillious Charm—Red sparks," you mutter to yourself, sitting at your desk with the table illuminated by a small night light. "Bombarda—Exploding Charm... Cistem Aerie Aperio... Cheering Charm was invented by... by..." you curse under your breath, knocking on your forehead. "Confound it all, it was invented by—"

"Felix Summerbee," says a familiar voice of honey and velvet. Warm arms wrap around you, and a chin nestles into the crook of your neck.

You lean back into the embrace, a smile spreading across your face. "Ced," you sigh, feeling the tension ease from your shoulders. "You're a lifesaver."

Cedric chuckles softly as he plants a warm, soft kiss on your cheek. "Couldn't let you struggle all night, could I?" He tightens his hold slightly, resting his head against yours. "You've been at this for hours. You need a break."

You glance at the notes scattered across your desk, the words blurring together. "I know," you admit. "I just want to be ready for Professor Flitwick's quiz next week. He's been popping those on us every week to prep us for our OWLs. There's so much to remember." Realization dawns in your eyes. "Wait just a minute, what are you doing here? Didn't you have late Quidditch practice since you have that big match against Slytherin next week?"

"I know," Cedric hums, a hint of amusement in his voice. "But I'm here to discuss something even more important with you."

You turn to face him fully, curiosity piqued. "More important than Quidditch? This must be serious."

"It is." Cedric's expression softens, his eyes locking onto yours with a sincerity that makes your heart skip a beat. "It's about... your birthday."

Your eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "My birthday?"

Cedric nods, a mischievous smile playing on his lips. "I wanted to make sure we have something special planned. You've been working so hard, and I think you deserve a break to celebrate. Now tell me... What do you want to do for your special day?"

"Cedric," you say, a warm feeling spreading through you and pushing aside the fatigue from studying. "That's so thoughtful of you, but I really don't want anything. I have everything I want."

"Oh, come on," Cedric insists, his eyes twinkling. "I'm sure you want something. What about a new broom?"

"Already have a Firebolt."

He chuckles. "True, true. But there must be something." There's a twinkle in his eyes. "Oh, I know! The perfect break from all this OWLs mania. A day away!"

"Where?"

"Diagon Alley," Cedric says, poking the tip of your nose, one of his many signs of affection. "You've already been to Hogsmeade. We could get a room at the Leaky Cauldron and spend the day among the commoners, Madam French Rich."

You laugh, the idea already lifting your spirits. "That sounds amazing. It's been ages since I've had a chance to really explore Diagon Alley."

Cedric grins. "Great! We'll visit Flourish and Blotts, have some ice cream at Fortescue's, and maybe pick up some new supplies at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. It'll be a perfect day."

"Aww, Cedric, that sounds like a dream," you say, a slight frown creeping onto your face. "But my birthday is the exact same date as your Quidditch match."

Cedric's smile falters for a moment before it returns, more determined than ever. "Don't worry about that. We'll leave for Diagon Alley right after a small birthday party with the DA—well, all except Harry—how does that sound?"

"You don't need to go through all of that trouble," you smile. "Your match is top priority—"

You are cut off by Cedric's warm hands gently cupping your face, pulling you into a deep kiss.