O N E

A long sigh of exhaustion left the girl's lips as she belly flopped onto the couch, an arm dangling off the edge and her cheek pressed against the pillow. She didn't even care that her makeup was probably smudging on it, she was way too tired to bother. 

Classes had drained the life out of her and all she wanted now was a long power nap. Tomorrow was the weekend, meaning she could finally catch up on the sleep she had been losing stressing out on assignments.

Her roommate wasn't home, so the dorm was nice and quiet. Which was unusual, but Naeun liked it when it was. As much as she loves her roommate and best friend, she would die if it was that loud 24/7. She snuggled her head against the pillow, ready to fall asleep.

But of course, no one can have peace in this economy.

The front door flung open, revealing said roommate. She was out of breath, squealing like a teenage girl who's crush just looked in her direction for a split second. She ran into the dorm, shaking Naeun by the shoulders.

"I think I'm dreaming! Punch me!" She squealed, holding something in her hand. Naeun was too tired to process what it was.

"I'll gladly punch you," she muttered groggily, sitting up and looking at her best friend through squinted eyes. "Was that loud ass entrance necessary, Juri? I was trying to nap!"

"Girl, forget about the stupid nap! Guess what I just scored?"

"What, a boyfriend or something?" She replied, holding in a yawn.

"Please, we all now that's never going to happen," Juri scoffed. She shoved two tickets into Naeun's face. "Remember my favorite street racer? Me and this girl made a bet that I obviously won because it's me we're talking about here, and I got the tickets in return!"

"You know that shit is illegal, right?" Naeun sighed. She knew how much Juri loved street racing and adored her favorite racers, but she didn't want her best friend to have to deal with legal authorities or get into that kind of stuff. "You really shouldn't be fans of street racers in the first place. They do illegal and life risking things just for money."

"But they're hot."

"Alright, good argument," Naeun nodded. "I just don't want you getting into any trouble."

"I won't, I've never been caught before," she brushed off Naeun's concern. She handed a ticket to the girl, making her quirk an eyebrow.

"Why are you handing it to me?"

"Because you're coming with," Juri replied, leaving no room for discussion.

"Okay, no the fuck I am not," Naeun protested. "I'm not even a fan of street racing."

"You forgot my birthday and now you don't even want to go a street race with me," Juri spoke dramatically, placing a hand on her chest. "It's fine, I understand, nobody loves me anymore," she wiped a fake tear.

"Your acting skills haven't improved ever since you joined theater," Naeun sneered.

"Oh shut it," Juri quickly dropped the act. "Can you please come with me? You still forgot my birthday, you know."

"It was exam week and I got caught up with studying, alright?"

"But you can still make up for it. Pleaseeeee?" She pleaded. 

"Ugh, fine," Naeun eventually gave in, rolling her eyes. "But only because I still feel bad for forgetting your birthday."

"Damn, that took a lot less convincing than I thought it would," Juri chuckled. "But you can't go looking like this. Come on, let's get you dressed up."

The girl practically dragged her off of the couch by the forearm, leading her into her bedroom. Juri's room was decorated with many merchandise from her favorite racers, posters on the wall as well as their signed jackets. But one specific racer stood out from all of them. Naeun looked at the big poster plastered on the wall next to her bed, tilting her head as she observed it.

"Is this the Jisoog dude you can't shut up about?" She inquired, turning back to Juri.

"Yep, that's Park Jisung right there," Juri replied, eyes gleaming at the sight of her beloved signed poster she got from a few years back. "He's just so talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before-"

"Alright, I think we get it," Naeun cut her rambling off. "What's so special about him anyway?"

"Did you just ask me 'what's so special about him?" she said dramatically, clutching a hand over her chest. "I haven't got time for this, we need to get you ready."

Juri went to her closet, rummaging through it for something for Naeun to wear. Since the girl had no interest in street racing whatsoever, she obviously didn't own anything that would be appropriate to wear for a street race.

She took out a simple outfit, a black crop top paired with black sweatpants and a racing jacket. Naeun took one look at the outfit, raising an eyebrow.

 Naeun took one look at the outfit, raising an eyebrow

"You want me to wear this?"

"Of course. We're going to be matching."

The girl shook her head. She'd never worn an outfit like this before, but alas, she still put it on as per Juri's wishes. Juri gave her a pair of sunglasses and a beanie, which Naeun reluctantly put on.

About fourty minutes later, both girls were ready. They had to sneak out of the dorm since it was way past curfew. Luckily no one was around at this time.

Naeun sat behind Juri on her motorcycle, holding onto her waist as she drove out of the parking lot. Naeun connected her phone to the sound system, playing 'Sure Thing' by Miguel as they drove. She'd never rode a motorcycle before, so she was scared as hell.

But luckily, Juri managed to drive them to the street race in one piece. There was a barrier separating the roads and the sidelines, tons of people flooding in to watch. Juri dragged Naeun all to the way to the front, wanting the best view possible to see her favorite racer. 

The race hadn't started yet. The racers who would be racing today were showing off their cars or planning, walking through the track. Naeun had no idea what was going on, so she stuck close to Juri. But that plan failed when the girl walked off, chatting to a random group of girls about cars. Naeun sighed, realizing she was now left alone in the unfamiliar environment.