Family, Worries and Her

The river extended to the horizon in all its grandeur, a vast expanse of tranquil beauty. The serene ripples beside brought a fleeting sense of solace, their gentle movement a stark contrast to the turmoil within. The full moon hung high in the sky, its silvery reflection illuminating the water, casting a soft glow on the surroundings. A cool breeze rustled through the leaves of the shrubs, whispering secrets of the night.

Kabir stood by the river, his eyes momentarily closed, seeking a moment of reprieve. But as soon as he shut his eyes, the events of the last twenty-four hours flashed before him with relentless clarity. He had endured so much, his heart heavy with the weight of recent events.

He had come here seeking comfort, a quiet place where he could almost allow himself to cry. But he held back, swallowing the lump in his throat. He couldn't grumble about his lot in life; as the oldest child in the family, he bore a mantle of responsibility that forbade such indulgences. He let out a long sigh, turning his gaze to the rushing waves. He seemed to be searching for answers in their relentless motion, answers to questions that had no easy solutions. The last twenty-four hours would be etched in his memory forever.

"Kabir, come over quickly, son. Your father might have had a heart attack. He's in a lot of pain in his chest. Hurry, I'm taking him to the hospital with Kavya," his mother had said over the phone, her voice trembling with fear.

He had been at an office, dealing with the usual stream of issues, when the call came. "Don't worry, Maa. Calm down, I'm coming," he had replied, trying to infuse his voice with calmness to soothe his mother. Inside, his heart had raced, the fear clawing at him, but he had pushed it aside to be the pillar his family needed.

Now, standing by the river, Kabir reflected on everything that had happened. The stress, the panic, the overwhelming sense of responsibility—it all weighed heavily on him. The sight of the water, its endless ebb and flow, was both a comfort and a reminder of the relentless passage of time.

When Kabir reached the hospital, the sterile smell of disinfectant hit him, amplifying the dread gnawing at his heart. His sister, Kavya, spotted him first and ran up to him, collapsing into his arms with tears streaming down her face. His mother, standing nearby, saw him too and immediately sought the comfort of his embrace. He held her tightly, lovingly caressing her head.

"Maa, everything will be fine. I'm here now," he assured her, his voice calm and steady despite the turmoil within.

They parted from the hug, but his mother's tears continued to fall. "Bhaiya, ever since we got here, Maa has been crying nonstop," said Kavya, her voice trembling. "They've taken Dad for tests," she informed him, her eyes wide with worry.

"You stay with Maa. I'll go talk to the doctor," he said, placing a comforting hand on her cheek. Kavya nodded, and he turned to find the doctor.

The doctor explained that the tests were underway and the report might come the next day, as some decisions had to be made by a senior doctor who was currently unavailable. Frustrated, Kabir argued with the hospital staff, his voice rising in desperation, but there was little he could do. This was the best hospital in the city, and they were in a new city on what was supposed to be a family holiday. Instead of sightseeing, they were trapped in the sterile corridors of a hospital.

Kabir, at twenty-five, had recently launched his startup after completing his post-graduation studies. Despite lucrative job offers from well-known companies, he had chosen to follow his passion, establishing 'Kabir Sharma's Confection Connection,' a bakery and cafeteria that was his dream come true.

As he stood by the river, reflecting on the past twenty-four hours, he sighed deeply. The stress, the panic, and the overwhelming responsibility weighed heavily on him. The tranquil sound of waves crashing gently against the shore offered a fleeting sense of peace. He opened his eyes to see a little boy tugging at his shirt.