Not a Single Evil Eye

KABIR

I still couldn't recall the last time I felt so anxious. Asking a girl out on a date should have been a straightforward task, but here I was, overthinking every detail. What if she didn't like the idea of dinner? Would she prefer brunch or lunch instead? My mind raced with questions, each one leading to another.

Around ten in the morning, I noticed Meera walking into my café, and my heart skipped a beat. Was today a holiday? Had she skipped class just to see me? A wave of curiosity and excitement washed over me. As she approached, her expression shifted to one of concern, and I furrowed my brows, trying to decipher the reason behind her troubled gaze.

"What happened? Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked, a hint of confusion in my voice.

"You..." She reached for my hand, gently raising it as she examined my face. Her fingers brushed against my cheek, and I could see the worry etched across her features.

"How are you now? Has the pain lessened?" she asked, her tone filled with genuine concern. It amazed me that she had come here just to check on me.

"I told you yesterday that I'm fine, Meera. Why are you so worried?" I replied, trying to dismiss her concern.

But her frown deepened as she shook her head. "How can you be fine? The swelling hasn't gone down yet." Her eyes darted to my other arm, which still showed signs of bruising.

"It's just a small injury, Meera. I'm okay," I insisted, but the way her face fell told me my words weren't comforting her at all.

I could see the weight of guilt resting on her shoulders, and I knew she felt responsible for what had happened. After getting to know her, I recognized that look all too well; she was probably blaming herself for my injuries. I wanted to reach out, to reassure her that I was fine, but it was clear that my words alone wouldn't be enough to lift her spirits.

"Really, it's nothing to worry about," I said softly, trying to sound reassuring. "I've had worse."

But Meera's brow remained furrowed, and I felt a pang in my chest. She cared, and that was both heartwarming and terrifying at the same time. I had always admired her strength, but in moments like this, it made me realize just how much she wore her heart on her sleeve.

"Okay, fine. If I say there's something that could make me feel completely better and that only you can do, would you do it?" I looked at her hopefully, and her curious gaze locked onto mine.

"What is it?" she asked, a hint of intrigue in her tone.

"Will you have breakfast with me?" I asked, and a little smile spread across her face. She looked away, clearly trying to hide her delight, but I gently turned her chin back to me.

"Breakfast?" she echoed, feigning nonchalance.

"Yeah, I know you haven't had breakfast either, just came to check on me, right?" I said, my eyes holding hers. She nodded, the smile growing wider.

"I'm really hungry too; I didn't have breakfast this morning," I added, crafting an excuse that made her giggle softly. She moved to take a seat at a nearby table, but I folded my arms and stood before her, unwilling to let the moment slip away.

"What's wrong, Kabir? Sit down," she urged, a hint of concern creeping into her voice.

I shook my head, refusing her offer, and her brows knitted together in curiosity.

"What's going on?"

"We're not having breakfast here, Meera," I replied, my tone playful yet determined.