Hearts on Edge

A month had passed, and Meera was finally free from her exams. The anticipation bubbled within her as she planned to spend the time with Kabir until her results were out. The next morning, they had plans for lunch, and she could hardly contain her excitement. As she lay in bed, sleep eluded her, and her mind danced with thoughts of him.

Suddenly, a noise from the balcony caught her attention. Curiosity piqued, she tiptoed over to check, only to be met with a sight that sent her heart racing. There, hanging precariously, was Kabir.

"Kabir, what are you doing here?" she asked anxiously, her voice a mix of surprise and concern.

"Shut up! Pull me up first!" he shouted, his tone half-joking, half-serious.

Giggling nervously, Meera reached out and grasped his hands, pulling him up with all her strength. But in her excitement, she lost her balance, and he toppled onto him, their bodies colliding with a soft thud. For a moment, they were lost in each other's gaze, a world of unspoken words swirling between them.

"Kabir..." Meera whispered softly, realization dawning on her that she was pinned beneath him. His eyes widened slightly as he snapped out of the trance, slowly pushing himself up to sit beside her.

"What are you doing here so late?" she asked, her heart racing for reasons beyond mere surprise.

"I haven't seen you for two weeks. What was I supposed to do?" he replied, his voice a mix of longing and frustration.

"But I was going to see you tomorrow, Kabir," she said, her brow furrowing slightly.

"Yes, but I couldn't wait, Meera. These eyes haven't seen your face for two weeks. How could I stay away?" he said, his hand gently caressing her cheek.

Meera felt the warmth of his touch and blushed, her gaze dropping to the floor. "Do you love me that much?" she asked, a hint of vulnerability in her voice.

Kabir took her hand and placed it over his heart, letting her feel the steady rhythm beneath. "Didn't you get your answer?" he asked, his eyes locking onto hers with an intensity that made her heart flutter. Meera nodded, her breath hitching slightly as she absorbed the moment.

He pulled her closer, and she instinctively wrapped her arms around him, feeling the comfort of his presence envelop her. He caressed her face again, his thumb brushing over her cheek. "Once your results are out, I'll whisk you away forever," he promised, his voice low and earnest.

Meera nestled her head on his shoulder, savoring the warmth and safety he provided. "I want that too, Kabir. I don't want you to have to meet me in secret like this," she confessed, her voice barely above a whisper.

He smiled lovingly, his expression softening as he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead. In that moment, the world outside faded away, and all that mattered was the connection they shared, an unbreakable bond that promised a future together. Meera's gaze suddenly fell on the watchman patrolling nearby. Panic gripped her, and she quickly pulled away from their embrace.

"Kabir, the watchman—didn't he stop you?" she asked, her voice laced with anxiety.

"I gave him a good bribe, so don't worry about him," he replied, his playful tone returning as he took her in his arms again. Kabir frowned, half-serious, as she looked up at him. "And how unromantic you are! Your boyfriend climbs up to you in the middle of the night, and you're worried about the watchman." Meera feigned a pout.

"Aww, so what should I do to make up for it?" She asked and he pointed to his lips demanding a kiss from her, a cheeky grin spreading across his face.

She rolled her eyes, blushing at his boldness. "Kabir, what is this?"